Wednesday, December 27, 2017

[Help][USA] I just moved into an apartment and the refrigerator keeps tripping the GFCI outlet. Bad fridge or bad wiring? electricians

Hi everyone. I'm renting this place, so I'll just call the landlord in the morning, but I'm just wondering what could be going wrong.

I'm my kitchen, there isn't a dedicated refrigerator outlet or breaker. There are two GFCI outlets to the left and to the right of the sink. The one to the left of the sink is daisy-chained to one non-gfci outlet on the left side of the kitchen and the one to the right of the sink is daisy-chained to 3 non-gfci outlets on the right side of the kitchen. All of the outlets in the kitchen are GFCI protected except the range hood and dishwasher. The refrigerator is plugged into a non-gfci outlet that is daisy-chained to the GFCI outlet.

When I moved in, i plugged in the refrigerator and everything was fine for about 3 hours, but then the GFCI tripped. I didn't notice right away, but when I did, it was good for another couple hours before it tripped again. This time I heard it pop and reset it instantly. It was good all throughout the night until just 10 minutes ago when it tripped again. I didn't reset it and just unplugged the fridge. I'll call the landlord when the office opens this morning.

The fridge came with the apartment. It is a Frigidaire FRT17B3AW3, and was built in May of 2003.

Is this just a bad refrigerator or is this a case of weird and dangerous wiring?

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm not an electrician and I'm not going to be attempting any repairs. I'll just have the landlord call a professional. I'm just curious what is going wrong.



Submitted December 27, 2017 at 03:42PM by nukelauncher95 http://ift.tt/2DjIX3Y electricians

No comments:

Post a Comment