Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Interior non-load-bearing wall removal (lathe and plaster) HomeImprovement

Recently bought a home in central Arkansas and looking for a few answers before I start a renovation project. Im looking to remove a wall between the dining room and kitchen. The home was built in 1939 and the wall is lathe and plaster. Ive also confirmed with an engineer the wall is non load bearing in a one story home.

My general and overly simple plan is to demo the wall, lathe, and plaster on my own. Then get an electrician to remove the wiring from the now removed wall, move a few switches to a remaining wall, and create an outlet that will work with a refrigerator. Once that is finished I plan on hiring a dry wall contractor to patch the spaces where the wall left a gap. I feel like i should note here that I will be scraping popcorn ceilings at this time also.

Also plan on putting down new tile in the kitchen after the wall is removed to make the transition look better.

My questions for /r/HomeImprovement are:

  1. Is my idea of this project wayyyyy to simple?

    From what I can tell, and I know old houses can be funky, there is only electrical running through the wall. Hvac is underneath the house and there are no water connections on any adjoining wall except a kitchen sink that is on a parallel wall.

  2. Any ideas of what an electrician and drywall contractor might quote for a project of this size?

    I just started reaching out for quotes today but just want to make sure I'm not getting screwed.

  3. Any advice or oversights from past experiences.

http://ift.tt/2BMvYrh Proposed wall from kitchen. The cabinet is an ironing board. The spot where the wall protrudes is the fireplace in the living room.

http://ift.tt/2CcuVEu Wall view from the dining room.



Submitted December 28, 2017 at 04:11AM by Tangible_Monkey http://ift.tt/2pFCVsu HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment