Friday, December 29, 2017

Tips for making falafel? Cooking

I tried making falafel recently and it didn't turn out right. I used this video as a reference.

My issue is that my mixture is very wet and I'm not sure why. I soak my chickpeas overnight--sometimes for a few days but the ones I used didn't exceed being soaked for more than three days in the refrigerator--and drained them in a sieve before I put them in a food processor. I add the other ingredients such as onion, coriander, spices, flour, and baking powder, but it remains wet, whether it be chunky or a puree-esque blend. I tried to add more flour the first time I made it, but I had to add so much flour to get it to bind that it not only ruined the flavour but it made the texture of the falafel taste like a sponge. The second time I made it I didn't add any extra flour to see what the result was. While it cooked well like falafel normally would on the outside, the inside was very moist and was mushy. I also had a hard time forming it into a ball. When it hit the oil, it flattened slightly.

I'm not sure what else to do. Perhaps soaking it for more than a day is the issue? I could also try drying the chickpeas off before putting them in a blender/processor but I'm uncertain that it will do anything.



Submitted December 30, 2017 at 09:00AM by evonor http://ift.tt/2CoUHCV Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment