Thursday, December 28, 2017

TIFU by forgetting about last year's Christmas candy tifu

So this has been going on for about a week now. It started when I came home from a trip to my parents for early Christmas, and walked in to find the house smelling funny. I live in a 700 square foot condo, so when something smells bad, the whole place smells bad. Tracked it down to the kitchen, but it was permeating everything, so I just cleaned it all - counters, floors, and cleaned out the refrigerator. It smelled a bit better, went to bed, and the smell was back in force the next morning...

I decided it was the refrigerator, but couldn't tell where. I cleaned everything out, used vinegar on the shelves, and looked up other possible solutions. Decided it might be the drip pan, and tried to get to it, only to find out that my model of refrigerator does not have an easily accessible drip pan. Ok, fine, decided to mop underneath. Moved the refrigerator, mopped the floor underneath (which was kinda gross) and waited.

Smell came back. Ok, next step, per the internet. Take everything out, unplug, wipe down everything, and put coffee grounds in the fridge. To do so, I needed to buy two coolers and stick all our food on the back porch. After two trips to Walmart (I initially thought one cooler would be enough), I got to work. Got everything out, wiped everything down, and finally took out the bottom shelf.

When! Lo and behold! I found it. Wedged between the bottom drawer and the shelf. An old white chocolate Toblerone bar from last year. I had my doubts that this could be the culprit, but the thing is mostly milk fat, and it was a year old ... threw it out, let the fridge air out all day, then finally put everything back together again. Since last night, the smell has been gone! Crossing my fingers that it was indeed the toblerone bar, although that was a LOT of work just to find one chocolate bar ...

TL;DR: Cleaned my entire kitchen to find a terrible smell and found last year's forgotten candy hiding in the back of the fridge.



Submitted December 28, 2017 at 10:34PM by randomizedme43 http://ift.tt/2DqvZBy tifu

No comments:

Post a Comment