Monday, October 2, 2017

[Oregon] 60-day no-cause eviction; landlord wants wants us to pay final month, but also wants to start moving his stuff into house after 30 days legaladvice

  • I signed month-to-month lease. Landlord said he's thinking about selling within a year and he'd offer to us before listing it. Told us to feel free to do any work we wanted to make the place better.

  • Because of his distance from the house, and a nasty winter that made his house inaccessible (he couldn't leave either) I fixed multiple things around the house such as a leaky refrigerator hose, a frozen pipe, a burst pipe (separate incident). I also cleaned out a bunch of brush, installed new curtain rods because the old ones were busted and the screws were ripped out of the walls.

  • About 4 months ago left me a nasty voicemail because he drove by and didn't like the way the yard looked.

  • Called at the end of August and said he's getting old and can't care for his current large-acreage home. Is going to sell it and move back into this house and wants me out ASAP. This summer was a crazy, inflated seller's market so people were paying outrageous prices and lining up to make an offer on anyplace that's available. He assumed he would have a cash buyer within a week of listing it. I told him I would require the full 60 days allowed by law, since in this market it is very difficult to even find a rental. He said that if I wanted to stay he was going to start having contractors come in because he wanted to replace the windows and flooring, and remodel the kitchen, before he moved in. He also said he wanted to start moving his firewood, ATV, and other stuff into my carport at the beginning of October, and that I would have to park my two vehicles on the uncovered side of the driveway.

  • I am in the process of closing on a house. He called and said his house isn't selling as fast as he thought it would, so if I needed to stay in this one for an extra month that would be okay. He wants me to pay rent for the full month of October even though as soon as I vacate he intends on starting renovations and moving his stuff onto the property.

I already feel like he mislead me into putting a bunch of effort into making his crappy, old rental nicer, with the intention of moving in after I cleaned the place up after his last few tenants. I also get the feeling that he's going to push the boundaries of encroachment as far as possible as I'm moving out and then not give me a pro-rated refund on rent. Lastly, I get the feeling that he's going to try and take the renovated windows, carpet, and kitchen out of my deposit.

How do I make sure, at the very least, that I get my deposit back, and possibly get a refund on my last month's rent?

TL;DR - My landlord is kicking me out, renovating the place, and moving in. How do I make sure I get my deposit back?



Submitted October 02, 2017 at 11:58AM by OMGTako http://ift.tt/2ySaVm3 legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment