Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Rewiring a kitchen for a model: Base each circuit and wiring on each appliance? HomeImprovement

I'm working on a remodel and was recently given a quote to re-wire the Kitchen to the tune of just over $8K.

That seems pretty expensive for me, and while I'm an enthusiastic DIYer, I have virtually no experience with wiring.

I'm making a rough draft, and dedicating a circuit to each major appliance (refrigerator/dishwasher/disposal/cooktop/oven/microwave/exhaust fan & toe-kick heater), but one snag is in determining the size and type of wiring to run.

For example, if my cooktop wants 240V @ 40A with two wires, should I run that circuit with 8/2 and a 40A breaker? Or, should I run 8/3 just in case I need it in the future? And, should I use a 40A breaker, or bump to a 50A?

(For what it's worth, I don't understand how I could be provided an estimate without giving the electrician in question any documentation on the appliances we're planning to use -- how could he spec 8/2 vs 8/3, or the size of breakers, etc? Just a rough guess?)



Submitted May 03, 2017 at 06:10AM by Shidell http://ift.tt/2p3EMBH HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment