Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Recipe advice cider

I just wrapped up a batch of cider for my wife after she went through a 1/6 keg of Angry Orchard in just 4 weeks. I've done kits before but this is my first try at "from scratch". Here's the details on what I did:

Started fermentation May 7th, OG 1.07

  • 6 cans apple juice concentrate
  • 1 64 oz. cider
  • 1 gallon distilled water
  • 1 tsp pectin
  • .5 tsp acid blend
  • .5 pack Nottingham Ale yeast

FG on May 22nd, 1.01 and added:

  • 2 campden tablets
  • 2 tsp. pottasium sorbate
  • Placed in refrigerator until May 31st.

Mixed in at kegging:

  • 1 can apple juice concentrate
  • 1 can apple cherry juice concentrate
  • 1/8 cup Splenda (she likes it sweet!)

I ended up wit a tiny bit over 2 gallons and kegged this in a corny until she runs out of Angry Orchard in the next day or two. I calculate this to cost me around $20 for the 2 gallons and need to scale up to a 5 gallon recipe if she likes it. Any suggestions on changes? Is an OG of 1.07 too high considering the slight dilution of the backsweeteners at the end? How do I calculate ABV for this batch?



Submitted June 01, 2017 at 07:20AM by dragontville http://ift.tt/2rlKd1R cider

No comments:

Post a Comment