Thursday, May 25, 2017

Can a pressure change from one leak cause a second leak in a separate spot? Or did I have a very odd coincidence? Plumbing

Was outside diagnosing a small leak from the garden hose where it enters one of the round reels used to roll up the hose and keep things tidy. There's a center piece of the reel that is held in with screws, and when undone it allows access to the inner workings - when the screws are undone the water pressure will push the parts way from each other and blast you with water. I was playing around with this center piece off, and tried turning on the tap on thinking I could physically hold the pieces together - I was wrong, they came apart quickly and I got sprayed pretty good. (if you're not familiar with these things just imagine this as a very sudden release of water pressure - apologies for the lack of pics)

So I'm standing there drenched outside, sorta laughing at myself for being so dumb, as this isn't the first time I've done this.

At the same time I hear a commotion inside that escalates to people screaming for me - the cylindrical water filter on the bottom of the refrigerator for the cold water spout cracked and started leaking onto the floor.

These two things happened with in seconds of each other.

The hose outlet cold water originates under the kitchen sink, then goes out an exterior wall. The cold water going into the fridge is located basically on the same circuit. Maybe 8 feet between the fridge and the hose outlet outside.

Seems counter intuitive, but I can't help but wonder (due to the synchronized timing of the leaks) if they are some how related?

Can anyone school my dumb ass?

Thanks!



Submitted May 26, 2017 at 08:17AM by omgwtdbbq420lol http://ift.tt/2r3msgL Plumbing

No comments:

Post a Comment