Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Appliance use in a shared housing arrangement(three people renting a house). legaladvice

So in July I signed a lease and moved into a house with people I didn't know very well(I'm 22, I'm still making mistakes and learning, please don't judge). We had agreed to all split rent and bills evenly at 1/3 for each person. When first months rent became due, the other tenants(who are a romantic couple) tried to demand that I pay 1/2 of rent and bills because the were sharing a room. I protested and told them I would not pay more than 1/3 and so they told me I would have to pay an "appliance fee" if I wanted to use their washer, dryer, stove, and refrigerator. I shrugged it off and said "Fuck it, I will just use a mini fridge and a hot plate until the lease is up." I was describing the situation to a sibling and they told me it might be illegal for my roommate to be denying me use of basic household appliances. I can't find anything about this online. Maybe I am using bad keywords to search. I thought I'd come here and see if anyone knows if this is a thing or not. If it is a thing, I have been denied use of these appliances for about 6 months. I'm not sure if that would make my case stronger or weaker.



Submitted December 21, 2016 at 06:14PM by averytare http://ift.tt/2h9zILs legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment