Friday, December 30, 2016

Sous vide lobster in shell? sousvide

Hello,

I'm doing a sous vide steak and lobster tail dinner for New Year's Eve. My girlfriend kind of wanted a more intense lobster favor by cooking in shell. I wasn't too sure how it would work, since I couldn't find any in-shell sous vide recipe.

So, I did two test runs: One tail following Kenji's recipe which was blanched, ice bath, deshelled, butter, fresh tarragon, vacsealed. The second tail was vacsealed straight from the refrigerator with butter and tarragon. Both were immersed simultaneously at 134F for 60 minutes.

I thought the first tail was excellent, buttery and tender. It was as just a little firmer than the second, probably due to the cooking time. The second lacked the nice butter flavor, but did have a stronger lobster flavor, which my girlfriend appreciated.

I'd like to split up the total weight between the two methods, so everyone has a choice. Is there any reason to not cook it in shell, e.g. safety?



Submitted December 30, 2016 at 09:35PM by PeruvianPotato http://ift.tt/2ixAHnr sousvide

No comments:

Post a Comment