Friday, December 23, 2016

[Oklahoma, USA] Called in broken fridge to my aparetment's real estate company. They own the fridge. I've been fridge-less for two weeks and they denied me compensation. legaladvice

I called it in last Monday along with a broken bath faucet that causes constant leaking and half the water to go through the shower head and half to pour out through the faucet during usage. The latter is annoying but my priority was obviously the refrigerator.

Early last Friday, I called in to follow-up on the status and was told they hadn't referred it out to a technician yet but would do it (this) Monday. I politely asked if there was any way they could expedite this and was told they'd call it in that day. With the weekend, I didn't mind all that much that I didn't get a call from the technician until Monday. He was nice but told me he wouldn't be able to make it out until Friday. Slightly irritated but still okay.

Today, the technician had not arrived twenty minutes after the scheduled time and I was missing work to be home, so I called to ask and was told he was on his way. While I had them on the phone, I asked if I'd be able to obtain any sort of compensation for my out of pocket expenses. Really, I would have been thrilled with $50 off of my rent. I stated that my bathtub had not yet been repaired, I'd been eating out daily (which I never do) and had easily lost over $80 of groceries in my fridge, AND our dryer has been out of order for over a month (didn't mind as much but inconvenient along with everything else).

I was put on hold by the employee. When she came back, she informed me that the owner had told her that they had worked at a timely manner, had abided by the landlord-tenant act, which states that landlords have 14 days to make a repair, and that I would therefore not be compensated. I asked whether she believed 2 weeks was a timely amount of time to not have a fridge and she said that they referred it out within a week and that they were not liable for however long it took their technician to come out to make repairs. I asked to speak to the owner and was told she was tied up. I asked to be transferred to her voicemail. The employee told me, "you can call this number back and click her extension." This made me irritated and I told her that I myself worked in an office and knew how phones worked. I asked I be transferred to her voicemail again. She told me, "well, she probably won't speak with you anyway since she wouldn't tell you anything different to what I've already told you."

At the same moment, I was getting a call from the technician and I accidentally switched calls and hung the other one up. Flustered, I called my boss (an attorney) and explained the situation and asked him whether he thought I was overreacting. He (admittedly not too familiar with the landlord-tenant act) believes that I am entitled to compensation because (a) it is their product, (b) I am renting it, (c) it did malfunction, and (d) I endured unnecessary monetary losses. He offered to call in on my behalf.

I'd kind of like to figure it out on my own and I'd also like to avoid being "that guy". I've been doing some light research but haven't found all that much. I do see the stipulations regarding the 14 days. What would you guys advise? I'd greatly appreciate any input / am totally okay with being told I'm overreacting.



Submitted December 24, 2016 at 12:47AM by kinglouislxix http://ift.tt/2i34Hu3 legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment