Friday, December 23, 2016

[TX] Landlord billed me for garage door opener maintenance. legaladvice

I made a request online stating the following:

"Garage door opener is not staying shut. It will shut fully then immediately open back up. Error code 28 appears on the opener, which I believe means it detects an object in the path of the door. The sensors are working properly and seem to be aligned. The issue is solved by unplugging the opener, and plugging it back in (clearing the error code). However, the code is reappearing when I enter the garage again."

The garage repair man came and fixed the issue by reprogramming the garage door opener. My landlord billed me for the repair, and when I called they stated that I am responsible for upkeep of chains, etc. on the garage door opener and that includes reprogramming it.

I had no idea reprogramming would have fixed the issue, so I think this is really unfair. I clearly spent time researching the problem, and couldn't solve it alone. Why should I be penalized that I'm not an expert in garage door mechanics?

Here is the relevant part in my lease: "Landlord will NOT pay to repair... the following items: stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, disposal, microwave, any appliance supplied by the tenant"

Note that nowhere does it state I am expect to reprogram the garage door opener and do general maintenance on it.

Any suggestions?



Submitted December 24, 2016 at 04:50AM by Newdeagle http://ift.tt/2hzWjib legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment