Saturday, December 31, 2016

Faulty new stove caused small fire... nosleep

My wife started a small fire on our new stove the other day, because the knob labeled "front" turns on the rear burner, and the knob labeled "rear" turns on the front burner.

Is the company liable even though no considerate damage was done? I just want a replacement stove/oven.

So first, I must admit I live in state funded housing, as my wife and I qualify for under the Housing Authority of our state. We have 3 young kids and live paycheck to paycheck. We pay $500 a month for our 3 bed/1bath manufactured home. We are very fortunate to have help provided by this program, and hope to own our first house in the next couple years.

The housing authority also provides us with utilities (washer/dryer, stove, dishwasher, and refrigerator.)

I am not proud of this and I am in no way, shape, or form looking for a quick money making bs lawsuit.

As a matter of fact, I hate that our country allows situations where one can sue a company such as Redbull for "not giving me wings".

That being said, I'm looking for an honest opinion.

Our previous stove was very old, and we had numerous occasions of a "zapping" noise. The noise was the wiring behind the stove, as it was not properly insulated. It caught fire, but quickly went out by itself as soon as my wife turned it off.

That was the FIRST SMALL FIRE.

We called the Housing Authority's emergency number and someone came out and unplugged the unit, unveiling a huge burn mark on the wall.

He assured us a new stove would be installed the next day, and all was well.

The next day a new stove was installed, as promised. It's a brand I'd never heard of and as basic as it gets, as expected.

I did not expect anything special and was appreciative of any unit, even if it was used.

The unit was obviously brand new, never used.

My wife set a pot on the rear burner, attempting to boil water.

She had the box of the product she was going to cook resting near the front burner, and proceeded to give our 16 month old a bath.

The box caught fire, due to the faulty knob. She thought she was turning on the rear burner, as labeled. The front burner was powered on instead.

I'd like to note that the "front" and "rear" lables are not located on the knob itself, but above the knob on the actual unit (no possibility of knobs being switched).

My question is: who is responsible? The housing authority or the manufacturer? Or even me?

I would like the manufacturer to replace the faulty unit with a new one that if safe to use.

I do not believe the HA had any knowledge of the unit being faulty.

The HA runs off of grants and charitable organizations to give families housing (such as mine), and I don't believe it's fair for us to ask for another unit.

Am I just going to need to have it repaired?

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?



Submitted December 31, 2016 at 09:00PM by Bitnole http://ift.tt/2ioEvYF nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment