Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Spilled coke all over my Acer Nitro V15 (Gaming laptop of sorts) Not sure what to do buildapc

Probably not the place to post this on Reddit, but every other relevant subreddit seems dead and it looks like this place may be my best bet, even if it gets taken down. Regardless, this all started on Christmas Day. I recently bought a new larger refrigerator and I went on a bit of a making ice phase. We had never had a lot of space in the freezer, but now there was space for making ice and yeah, I made a ton of it... We also happened to have a lot of Coke and of course, I decide to use a tall Coke glass to hold that in with ice - tastes so much better may I add.

Anyway, I'm in a festive mood, I have my Coke situated in front of my laptop and was also eating some corn chips... Before I knew it, I knocked the glass COMPLETELY over the laptop keyboard. Ironically, this happened 3 months previously on my now old laptop and was the catalyst that led me to purchasing this new one. Back to the point, I did not want this laptop to die on me, especially since it was only 3 months old and due to my earlier experience, I knew exactly what to do in order to at least give my laptop a fighting chance. I turned it off immediately, unplugged everything and lifted it upside down before starting to soak up as much of the coke as I could. I kept turning the laptop back on by accident, as the power button is a part of the keyboard in the top right hand corner (terrible design really...).

I kept trying to soak up as much as I could with tissues before I left it to rest for half an hour. While waiting, I looked up what other things I might have missed out and found that maybe I should open it up and see if any liquid spilled in. If it did, then most likely my laptop was a goner... And I didn't want to wait the 24-48 hours some guide was telling me to do. So yeah, I looked for the screwdrivers, opened it up and saw something somewhat bewildering. I poured roughly half a can of Coke on this laptop and no liquid got in... Was it by design? Is this what they call a waterproof keyboard? Or did I react fast enough before the Coke could get into the system? I don't know, but my god, I was so happy when I saw that was the case.

I closed the case and decided to wait 10 minutes before turning it back on and who would have thought? The laptop didn't falter one bit, it was running just as good as before the spillage.

However, over the last 2-3 days, I have realised there is one downfall... I can feel a difference in the keys. Some of them are still sticky and unfortunately, some of them are important ones, like the backspace and enter keys. I can feel the difference and I'm not sure how to really go about cleaning them, especially with this model, the Acer Nitro V15. I've tried cleaning them with just tissue and wet wipes, but it seems to revert back to the sticky form, if albeit slightly better. What should I do? If anyone could help me with this endeavour, I'd be very grateful - I like typing and yeah... it's a bit of a pain to type on. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR: Sticky Coke covered keys on my laptop - how should I go about cleaning them so they don't feel like they're hard to type on?



Submitted December 28, 2016 at 09:18PM by Vowkai http://ift.tt/2htheG5 buildapc

No comments:

Post a Comment