Monday, December 26, 2016

Should I be concerned about this white powder in my freezer? HomeImprovement

I recently purchased a home, and this is the refrigerator that came with it. The fridge and freezer work, it's modern and in good condition. My intention was to keep and use it unless there was a read good reason not to.

It has been disconnected from the power for the most part. It was powered on during the inspection and the inspector tested that it works as expected.

In the ice caddie of the freezer there is a white powder substance. It seems like a spilled box of baking powder, but I feel like this is something I should be certain is safe before putting food I will eat in it.

http://ift.tt/2iblETf

There is also a very mild chemical smell coming from the unit, but it doesn't seem like that unusual a smell to me for an powered down room temperature fridge.

I was trying to take the ice caddie out to take better pictures and clean if I could confirm it was not anthrax lining the bottom, but the thing is stuck. I looked around the internet a bit and quickly found that is a common problem for this model and has been an expensive repair for some people, and not something you can fix as a simple diy. So I am already considering just buying a new fridge, but would still want to use this one for the time being while I find something I like and work it into the budget. I can live without the ice maker as long as this white powder id not something dangerous.

http://ift.tt/2ikVZVc

(The remove button is useless. I tried pressing in the bottom part directly a couple was too. People are saying that whole plastic button and spring fail and the latch in inaccessible.)

I can run soapy water though it while still stuck to the door, rinse with water, and let dry before powering back on. Or maybe Reddit has some suggestions for how to clean and prepare it for use.

Thanks for reading and any assistance. Sorry that I am addressing a couple separate issues, I went to take pictures of the powder, and realized there is more going on here.



Submitted December 27, 2016 at 03:30AM by WTF-Is_The_Internet http://ift.tt/2ibhKJS HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment