Friday, July 28, 2017

Question about solar system and shore power vandwellers

I'm beginning to think about the solar system in my van, and I have a question about adding some sort of connection to shore power so I can at least charge my batteries if and when I have access to an 120v socket.

I want the system to run some lights, fans, a refrigerator, and be able to charge my electronics. So I don't think I'm going to need a whole lot of juice. But nonetheless I like to be ready for anything, and it happens that there is a 2 inch hole in the side of my van. I was thinking I could use this hole to be able to hook into shore power and be able to at least charge my batteries. I was thinking I could use something like this ( http://ift.tt/2vdTr4W ) I have questions about how to hook something like this up.

  1. Should it be connected directly to the batteries?
  2. Could it be connected to the batteries via the charge controller? This seems problematic to me, but I'm not exactly sure why
    1. The reason I ask question 2 is this- should I be concerned about charging the battery with something like this while simultaneously loading it with the appliances I've mentioned?
    2. Is this just not the solution I'm looking for? What is a good solution for integrating 120v shore power into a 12v solar system?


Submitted July 28, 2017 at 05:51PM by vanimalyon http://ift.tt/2u4X0oW vandwellers

No comments:

Post a Comment