Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Landlord wants us to pay for new refrigerator legaladvice

Hey Reddit, I need some help here dealing with my new landlord. My friend and I have recently begun renting a condo owned by our new landlord, who had a realtor draw up the lease. Mid-way through the first week, we noticed that the groceries we purchased have spoiled in the fridge. The settings were to their coldest possible temperatures, but the appliance would not work properly. We reached out to the landlord telling him that we either need it repaired or replaced. He said that he would gladly replace it, as long as we pay him $100, as per the lease.

Here is the issue: the lease states that the landlord must cover all repairs/replacements of listed appliances (the fridge is listed) if the defect predated our moving in. He stated that since we did not add the fridge to the list of pre-existing conditions from our walk through tour, that we essentially signed off on the appliance being in working condition. Despite my asking how he would recommend that we had tested the refrigerator during a ten minute tour, he remained steadfast, and even threatened us to have to pay the total replacement fee, for we could not prove that we did not break the appliance.

I do not want to have to jump to litigation this soon into the lease, but the landlord has been extremely unhelpful and outright rude to me and my roommate from the jump. I just want to know if I have any legal footing to challenge him further on this issue, among others, if the need arises. Thank you guys so much!

Edit 1: I am being told that my state matters, so for clarification, I live in Connecticut.



Submitted July 26, 2017 at 01:06AM by jdonz12 http://ift.tt/2uzpg55 legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment