Tuesday, July 25, 2017

horrid landlady, what do? (Western Kentucky) legaladvice

forgive me if this is a long story. this has been slowly building for seven years. i will try to include only the essential facts. after that, feel free to ask questions.

fact 1 -- my husband has degenerative bone disease and was told eight years ago that he would soon be confined to a wheelchair. so far this hasn't happened, but he is not in good health although he continues to work hard for the little money he can make.

fact 2 -- i suffer from mental illnesses including PTSD from childhood and borderline personality disorder. i have applied for disability and been turned down, although it doesn't change the fact that my last therapist advised that i shouldn't be working.

fact 3 -- our landlady uses and abuses us. when she takes vacations, we watch her cats for free because we feel if we say no, we'll be kicked out. this is how she suckers us into almost everything, including spending an entire day cleaning out a shed on our property full of her stuff.

fact 4 -- her worst offense happened a few months ago. our septic tank overflowed (not maintained for 20+ years) and she didn't fix it for nearly two weeks despite my pleas, which only angered her as she tried to turn my husband against me. she also forced my nearly crippled husband to dig up the septic tank himself.

we were unable to take showers, use the sinks, do laundry, or even use the bathroom in the house. the smell was awful and very unsanitary. i do have video documentation.

fact 5 -- since that happened, i believe it has either caused further PTSD or aggravated what i already had. i have nightmares about poop. i smell phantom sewage smells all the time and very often taste it in my food. i was admitted to a state hospital for thirteen days and my psychiatrist classified what she did to me as abuse.

fact 6 -- while i was trying to recover in the hospital, the refrigerator that came with the house broke and my husband has been eating fast food for three weeks as he begs her to replace the fridge. now she isn't even answering her phone even though she is home. (lives next door to our rental property.)

fact 7 -- we have four cats that have also suffered due to the stress in our household. we can't afford to move and if we did, it might be near a busy road or highway, and i fear for them. i might could give one up for adoption but no more.

fact 8 -- in kentucky there is something called a landlord retaliation law that states she can't kick us out for a year after we have complained about a major repair to the house. if this is true we still have time, however with my mental illnesses i became very angry with her before my hospital stay. because of that, i cannot go to my house at all. i haven't seen my cats in weeks. she is threatening to call the police if i show up, although there is no restraining order or anything of the sort.

what would you guys do in my situation? i am finally on the correct antidepressants after twenty-two years, but her behavior is affecting my recovery. i really am better and had gotten over my anger with her, but now it's returning.

any and all advice is appreciated.



Submitted July 25, 2017 at 06:20PM by throwaway1370731 http://ift.tt/2vFkLWU legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment