Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Weird power issue on computer techsupport

Operating System

Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)

This is a pre-packaged Dell PC, I will get the model number as soon as I can, has an i5 4-8GB of memory, 1~TB HDD, and generic PSU.

Speccy Link

N/A

Description of problem

So this computer powered off during a lightning storm that did massive damage to other equipment in the house (refrigerator, washing machine, porch lights, etc). Computer will not power on or respond to the power button being pressed, zero signs of power and no burned smells.

When this issue began

2 days ago

Recurring issue

Yes

Date of purchase

N/A

Under Warranty

No

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

It will not power up so no need to recreate, it is constant.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

I tried various power supplies and could not get it to come online, I then tried to short out the pins with a new supply in with no such luck (could not ID which pins were what but touched them off to any adjacent hoping to find the right one). I was about to call it a bad motherboard when I found a button on the back of the power supply (for testing it?) and I was suddenly seeing the fans spin and everything, I released the button and it powered off and then I tried the normal power button and it came up! Worked fine for around 2-3 hours over 2 days and then all of a sudden she cut off and while the fans will spin when the button is pressed it will not work with the normal power button again.

Other Notes:

Something I haven't thought of is to see if it turns on and displays video now with that button pressed, I can try that once I am home, but looking for any suggestions as to why the other power supplies don't work on this Dell and whether it might be something else? I am unaware of any PSU proprietary solutions that have been implemented where you have to use a Dell brand PSU or it will reject it but it is possible.



Submitted July 26, 2017 at 04:00AM by HatchCannon http://ift.tt/2uVefxs techsupport

No comments:

Post a Comment