Monday, July 31, 2017

I [34m] am worried my Father [60m] is incapable of caring for my Grandpa [82m] relationships

Years ago my Grandpa and Grandma divorced, she was traditional housewife while my Grandpa worked. She is now in a home with Alzheimer's and not well. Since then my Grandpa quit cleaning and eating properly, he is also a terrible hoarder. He owns an old rental property which should be condemned which he has filled that with random furniture, electronics and air conditioners that he gets off the curb. Even worse he is now showing signs of dementia.

My Dad has schizophrenia and lives with him, he has been fine as far as I know and sees a Dr each month. The problem is that my Dad has always done what my Grandpa said, the man was controlling and manipulative which is why my Grandma left so late in the marriage. My Dad is still like this though and refuses to stand up to him, even though his demands are non-sensible because of the dementia.

Last month my Grandpa was found in a town 2 hours away, he thought he was down the street from home. When the police came to the house they questioned my Dad about his dementia and what his Doctor says. My Dad said he didn't know because he doesn't "let him take him" the officer wasn't happy and laid into him pretty well about. His keys were at least taken away at that point.

The other issues I worry about are that he has been found walking in the yard with no pants and a winter coat in June and last week washed the dishes with Tide. My Dad refuses to buy food for him and drives him to Costco where he eats the samples and then buys desserts like pie and ice cream. The only food in the house is dessert and recently I learned their refrigerator broke 6 months ago. When confronted about this my Dad seems to think that his nutrition is problematic but that he buys him Ensure drinks. Some days the only food he eats his dessert while my Dad only eats fast food. My uncle recommended making him nutrition smoothies but my Dad misunderstood and started getting him McDonalds smoothies.

At this point I want to call Adult Protective Services but I'm not sure there is enough evidence of unintentional neglect and at the same time if there is, I'm not sure what they would do. Would calling APS be the right thing to do?

tl;dr My Dad has schizophrenia and has been letting my Grandpa who has dementia make decisions for himself. This has lead my hoarder Grandpa to eating nothing but desserts on some days, living in a home filled with junk, and possibly not receiving proper medical care. Is this bad enough to call Adult Protective Services? If so what would happen if I did?



Submitted July 31, 2017 at 07:34PM by Semeyeconducted http://ift.tt/2we1L0Z relationships

No comments:

Post a Comment