Sunday, July 30, 2017

I just went to my first party sober, and it was AMAZING. stopdrinking

First of all, I know that a lot of people aren't safe going to parties or bars. I tested myself tonight, which is not something I suggest doing, but I know how extraordinarily different I feel this time, and there was a ton of mental preparation.

26 days in, and my best friend of 28 years had a 40th birthday party. It was disco-themed. Catered, with a bar. I'd flown halfway across the country to my home town with two young kids yesterday to get there (there was a missed flight, crazy expensive changed flight, airport running, and a last minute rental car for a two-hour drive). I was an hour late. OF COURSE I WOULD HAVE NEEDED A DRINK. key words are WOULD HAVE

Y'all, I'm good. She had four kinds of sparkling water in the refrigerator. I busied myself dancing (without tripping over myself or losing my rhythm), talking to people (without incessantly talking in a drunken stream-of-consciousness), and had enough happy energy to stay late and help her clean up. Meanwhile, a drunk girl knocked my (sparkling water with lime) drink out of my hand twice, had to stay over at my best friend's house and be babysat while others hid her keys, and at the end of the night, everyone just looked...sad. Like their drinks drained their faces of happiness.

Driving back to my mom's house (where we are staying) sober, I felt empowered. I came in quietly, kissed my sleeping son, and settled in to a comfortable bed with no bad taste in my mouth, knowing I would be fine in the morning. Life is so gorgeous on this side of sobriety. THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME GET HERE. I will enthusiastically not drink with you today!



Submitted July 30, 2017 at 03:18PM by otistheglasseye http://ift.tt/2eYGIfE stopdrinking

No comments:

Post a Comment