Friday, December 1, 2017

Dairy-Free Eggnog sousvide

Based on the ChefSteps Eggnog Recipe

Ingredients 800g cashew milk
16.5 clarified butter
160g sugar, granulated
120g egg yolks
1.5tsp nutmeg (I prefer freshly ground)
1tsp clove

Directions
1) Mix ingredients in large bowl and whisk.
2) Transfer to blender and blend on high for 10 seconds to distribute the butter throughout the mixture
3) Transfer to pint-sized mason jar(s) closed fingertip tight
4) Cook 60 minutes at 162
5) Chill (ice bath or refrigerator)
6) When thoroughly chilled, some of the butter will have returned to being tiny clumps. Place in blender and blend on high for 10 seconds. This may cause the egg nog to become warmer than your preferred drinking temperature, but additional chilling won't cause re-clumping of the butter.
7) Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Notes
Fat and Cream - Egg nog generally calls for heavy whipping cream and whole milk, both of which are obviously not dairy free. Instead, I used cashew milk for its creaminess and replaced the fat with some no-milk-solids butter. I based the amount of fat on the nutrition information on the heavy whipping cream I bought for my full-of-dairy egg nog. I ignored the fat difference between whole milk and cashew milk because it was easy. I found I didn't miss it, but there's room to bump it up a little if you notice the difference.

Spices - I removed some of the spices from the original recipe to help me figure out if I was making a good base. It's possible it's even more delicious adding in the other spices that ChefSteps suggests. Also, I switched to volume measurement, which I'm normally against, because my scale wouldn't register such a small amount of nutmeg.

Thick and Thin - This doesn't produce as thick an eggnog as I preferred back when I was ignorant of my dairy allergy, but it's close. I think it's possible some experimenting with the amount of yolk or a small amount of emulsion additive could dial this in a little more. I ran out of time before Thanksgiving to test it.

Enjoy!



Submitted December 02, 2017 at 02:13AM by modnar42 http://ift.tt/2BrUFIT sousvide

No comments:

Post a Comment