Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Water meter dial is spinning, but everything in the house is currently off. Plumbing

We recently bought a 2k sqft house. We've lived here for a few months and my water bill was way more than I thought it should be. I called the provider and they were sort of miffed as well, they told me I was using 3x as much water as most families our size. Just to be sure it wasn't us, we took a look at our old bills from old house and we were using a 2/3 less water... so it's definitely something here.

Our house has two full bath. one kitchen with a dishwasher and an ice machine. We've got one hose bib outback, a washer/dryer and a utility sink. I walked around the house and made sure everything was off and went to the meter and it was still spinning, slowly, but it was definitely spinning. I went and put food coloring in the tank of the toilets, no food coloring in the bowl. I'm out of ideas. We don't have any water leaks around the house, no pools of water anywhere in the house, no leaks in the ceiling, etc etc.

So, what am I missing. I figure it's either one of two things. Something, somewhere is leaking that isn't obvious (hot water heater? but I would assume I'd see discharge somewhere as the water has to go somewhere), or the water meter is broken.

Apparently when going through the records on this house, the water company looked at the historic use and it's been an issue for at least 4-5 years (and no one said or did anything about it, which is bizarre af).

Any advice, or could anyone point me in the right direction?

One more thing, I doubt it's related, but figured I'd mention it, our refrigerator only makes ice, the water feature does not work... but again, there does not seem to be a waste tube coming from my fridge, and we are not seeing water pool up in the kitchen or downstairs, so I don't know why the water isn't working on the fridge... but it isn't.

one more thing, as I type this... could it be the dishwasher? Does it auto drain? I wouldn't think it does... but perhaps it's in the open position when not running?



Submitted August 30, 2017 at 06:27AM by MinnesotaAltAccount http://ift.tt/2wgcXNq Plumbing

No comments:

Post a Comment