Thursday, August 24, 2017

Need advice converting an Igloo mini-fridge for keg carbonating: removing the freezer compartment Homebrewing

I purchased this Igloo 4.5 cu ft mini fridge (FR464) to convert it as a temperature chamber for keg carbonating (and also as a beer fridge when I'm not brewing), and I'm hesitating on how to deal with the freezer shelf. My last fridge had a freezer coil built into the top, and a plastic shelf to serve as a freezer chamber. Removing that wasn't any trouble, since I could leave the freezer coil on the top and just remove the shelving to get the space I needed.

However, this fridge is different. There's a metal shelf attached to the top, and that is connected directly to a metal (?) pipe which I assume has wires running through it. My concern is that this seems to be the freezing coil: it cools the shelf directly. So I'm worried that cutting this will hinder the fridge's ability to keep things cool.

Has anyone used this model fridge? Will cutting those wires ruin the fridge? I'm not sure how to disconnect the shelf without breaking the wires, so any advice is really appreciated. I haven't been able to brew since my last fridge broke down, so I'd love to get this working.



Submitted August 25, 2017 at 09:20AM by CrazyPlato http://ift.tt/2xxgUen Homebrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment