Saturday, August 26, 2017

Rehydrating overcooked jam? Canning

Hello, canners, especially those like me who realize that summer's about over and are therefore making up for lost time.

I made refrigerator jam the other day, and I cooked it long enough that it was candy and impossible to spread. Since it had hardened into its jar, I topped it off with water and a squirt of dish soap. The next morning, it was the perfect consistency as I dumped it into the compost.

So I'm wondering with what I imagine to be a pretty low-risk refrigerator jam if you can just add a splash of water and not have wasted your investment. But I don't want to get botulism. Any thoughts?

On another note, can anybody give me some advice about not overcooking jams? Because I do it a lot.



Submitted August 26, 2017 at 10:30PM by ilikecaramelapplepop http://ift.tt/2xlI7BN Canning

No comments:

Post a Comment