Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A Design For Renewable, Off-Grid (stand-alone) Power Systems engineering

The electric power system is the network of power system components that delivers electricity to power televisions, refrigerators, computers, and every other device that plugs into an outlet. A renewable, off-grid power system is a stand-alone electric power system that can independently provide electric power to the end consumer year-round. A major milestone for designing off-grid systems is determining how much renewable energy resources and how much energy storage capacity are required to provide reliable electric power year-round. I developed an algorithm to determine how much of each component is required for a photovoltaic (PV), off-grid power system. The algorithm requires the expected time-series power demand of the building and power supply of the PVs.

As an example, the algorithm was used to design an off-grid system for a residential building. By considering oversized PV system sizes, the algorithm estimated the energy storage capacity requirement for increasingly oversized PV system sizes. The result was a graph showing how much energy storage capacity vs. how much PV was required for a renewable, off-grid power system, which shows an inverse relationship between generation and storage. Since PVs and energy storage have different costs, the algorithm computed the price of each off-grid configuration and determined the most cost-effective system (marked by the red "x").

The algorithm is currently in the development stage, so I published the algorithm on GitHub to contribute my results. I have also released any potential proprietary rights. Here is a technical document describing the algorithm and off-grid system: http://ift.tt/2gl9YxN

To give some background, I got this idea during my final year as a MSEE grad student. For about 6 months after my graduation, I tried to start an organization to research/develop this idea. Afterward, I started applying for jobs with little/no luck, so I decided to write this technical document to show hiring managers what I was working on. If anyone wants to provide feedback on my document (or current situation) it would be much appreciated. Thanks



Submitted August 29, 2017 at 04:15PM by LiveWithEarth http://ift.tt/2vo2tNc engineering

No comments:

Post a Comment