Sunday, August 27, 2017

Aging Cellar? Or is there a better option. Charcuterie

First of all, I apologize in advance if I sound ignorant here, I am just starting to look into how all of this works.

My family and I are looking into using some of our pigs to create products such as Coppa, Pancetta, Guanciale and several others. I have seen several great DIY aging situations involving frost-free refrigerators. The only problem I see here is that we would be butchering a pig that is around 200lbs and using as much of it as we could for aging.

In my mind this means we need a larger area. I am picturing about 8x8 feet.

We live in the mountains in Colorado. I believe that a cellar would hold around 60 degrees Fahrenheit and around 70% humidity for most of the year, just not in the winter.

So my main question is, is a cellar the correct solution? Possibly with temperature and humidity control for the times of year when we need it, or is there a better solution?

Thanks!



Submitted August 28, 2017 at 12:04AM by ncamack1988 http://ift.tt/2wAKcfk Charcuterie

No comments:

Post a Comment