Wednesday, August 30, 2017

My Neighborhood Kicks Ass breakingmom

If you're not up to speed, we're Harvey evacuees. Our house took roughly four feet of water and everything on our bottom story is a loss. We are safe, our animals are safe, we are in a hotel about 15min from our house, despite me having to stare down the desk guy at the LaQuinta to make him allow 4 dogs. Also, there WERE looters in our house, but apparently they ran before they took anything. My owl collection is safe!

Now for the good stuff. My husband is a disabled veteran and walks with a cane. I have fibro and some other chronic stuff that makes lifting a no-go. When we saw the extent of damage in our home, I knew there was no fucking way we could get shit out on our own. Our neighborhood has a Facebook group where people were encouraged to post their needs. I hate hate hate asking for help. I am a giver and a helper and I've rarely ever had to be a receiver and it's extremely uncomfortable for me. So all that to let you know it was hard to compose the post, but with no family in the area and all our friends trapped in their own personal Harvey hells, I put out the call.

You guys, at LEAST ten people showed up and others offered. They brought trash bags and gloves and a wheelbarrow and the next thing you know, there were strangers elbow-deep in my refrigerator(which was laying flat on its back when we came in), men cutting away my drywall(we checked with insurance first, don't worry), ladies delicately wrapping my salvaged antique china (was above water line) in my bed sheets from upstairs, and entertaining my daughter. They used push brooms to push the ankle-deep water out of my house and ordered me pizza for dinner. We found a fish in my laundry room. Life is so surreal right now. But we made it through a shit day and now we can get up and do it all over again. The main helper-lady(the one who put herself in charge because I suck at executive functioning) said she knows someone who wants to give us a dryer, and someone else from her church wants to cook for us tomorrow night. I'm a little nervous about people feeding us because autistic kid can equal insensitive comments/weird food issues, but everyone keeps drilling it in my head that I should take any help that is offered, so I'm trying. My daughter, within potential earshot of a pastor, said, "This fucking sucks. All our shit is gone." Amen, Kiddo, but watch your goddamn language. No idea where she got that.



Submitted August 31, 2017 at 10:08AM by classypancake http://ift.tt/2wKKkJy breakingmom

No comments:

Post a Comment