Thursday, October 1, 2015

Landlord being shady with security deposit legaladvice

Edit: This is in Buffalo, New York (forgot to add that) I have read a lot of previous posts about landlords not giving back security deposits but was still interested in hearing opinions on my issue. I have lived in this apartment for a little more than three years, and never really had any issues with my landlord. He was always decent enough, would fix problems maybe a week or so after I mentioned something and even once took off 100$ on rent when the refrigerator broke due to lost food. We have always been on good terms and I never had any late payments. In other words, I could have had much worse. In August I ended up buying a house and had to break my current lease. I gave him 30 days written notice of me vacating the premise which I sent through certified mail(per lease agreement) He said for me to get my security deposit I needed to find someone to move in right away so he doesn't lose out on rent. And he also wanted me to list the apartment for a higher monthly rent than I was paying. Which I didn't really think was my responsibility but I did it anyway. To my luck, I did find a person to move in September 1st. I got all my belongings out by August 16th and left the place rather clean. It never got too messy, but It definitely needed some new paint, and the carpet in the bedroom needed to be replaced which I had told him about. On September 1st I had contacted him through text asking when I can drop my keys off and to pick up my security deposit. He had told me he was out of town that week and will mail it when he gets back on the following Tuesday and asked for my new address. I let another week go by and still haven't received anything in the mail. So I send him another text on September 16th asking if he could please send it. He answered back with "yup will go out Monday morning, I am away this week". I STILL have not received anything so I figured I should just call him. So on the 24th I talk to him and he says his wife takes care of all of that and it should have been sent, he will talk to her and let me know. I hear nothing back after that. And nothing is in the mail. Then today I have my boyfriend call because we both consigned on the lease and my landlord refuses to talk to him and says I need to call. I call him back and he says he was waiting on the carpet bill and will be splitting the cost of it with me. He said the total cost of the carpet for a 12x10 room was 405.00. I brought up the fact that should just be part of normal wear and tear and he said that it was new when I moved in, which I know for a fact it wasn't because the tenant before me had a dog and I was vacuuming dog hair for a month after I moved in. I'm not really willing to part with 200$ and I feel like he isn't being honest because he never mentioned about waiting for a carpet bill before today. It has been well over 30 days that I have been moved out and more than enough time for him to decide if I should be paying any kind of damages. He said he can mail it or I can come pick it up tomorrow. I told him I would like a copy of the carpet bill with my security deposit. Do I have any options on getting that last 200$ back or is it a lost cause? I feel like I held up my end of the bargain and he's trying to skimp out on me. Super sorry for this lengthy text. Hope you guys have some advice.



Submitted October 01, 2015 at 10:43PM by kelseydella http://ift.tt/1JGODQL legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment