Thursday, October 29, 2015

Halving the calories in steel cut oatmeal 1200isplenty

I tried this last night. I put 1/2 cup of steel cut oats into 1 quart of water, instead of the usual 1 cup oats to 1 quart water, and cooked it overnight on the Porridge setting of my rice cooker. I stirred it a couple of times overnight, as I drank tea right before bed and was up a few times anyway.

The next morning, the oatmeal wasn't as thick but I still enjoyed it very much, and it only clocks in at 80 kcal or so per cup instead of the usual 160 (before you add cinnamon/sugar/toppings, but I'm weird and I like it plain).

Anyway, this is a good thing to know to do, if you like the flavor of oatmeal with your breakfast. I'm sure you could cook this overnight in a crock pot set to Low and get similar results. Just remember, it needs to sit for at least 8-10 hours and get a few really good stirrings in during that time. This also keeps very well in the refrigerator.

tl;dr - steel cut oats are pretty forgiving of being "watered down"



Submitted October 30, 2015 at 12:40AM by TransFatty http://ift.tt/1MXf1rQ 1200isplenty

No comments:

Post a Comment