Wednesday, October 28, 2015

[Review] Lush Rosy Cheeks SkincareAddiction

Lush Rosy Cheeks, $12.95 for 2.1 oz available in Lush Stores.

When I wrote a review of my favorite cleanser, Lush’s Ultrabland there was some call for more reviews of Lush products, particularly the fresh face masks. Although that was six months ago, I did not forget. /u/buttermilk_biscuit, this one's for you.

The Premise: The Fresh Face Masks are one of Lush's principal gimmicks. They are clay masks with added fruits, vegetables, nut-butters and essential oils that are made fresh without preservatives and thus are only sold in-store. They are kept in a refrigerator in the store and you are encouraged to do the same at home until they expire 2 -3 weeks later. There are now eleven masks in the range that promise benefits for all skin types.

The Product: I am unabashedly one of those people - a Rose Scent Lover. If it can be had in rose scent, I will buy it in pursuit of a rose-scented routine would make a botanist weep for the wasted petals. For that reason, I strayed from my ol' favorite Fresh Face Mask (BB seaweed) to spring for Rosy Cheeks, a 2015 addition to the Fresh Face Mask line up. It is a bit of a spring: the Fresh Face Mask is meant to be a relatively inexpensive, occasional treat buy for me. Most of the range is $7.95 for 2.1 oz, but Rosy Cheeks costs five dollars more for the same amount of product. It's not a lot of money, but I'm rarely able to finish a whole Fresh Face Mask as it is before I get uncomfortable with how far past the expiration date I've let the pot linger the butter bin of my refrigerator and have to throw out the remainder. Moreover, intellectually $10 dollars for me is a definite threshold for willingness to spend and expectations.

Speaking of expectations, if you're familiar with a Fresh Face Mask you know that they don't feel like a QHMJM because not all of the mix-ins blend thoroughly, which gives the masks a homemade, occasionally lumpy texture. Not so with Rosy Cheeks. This mask is thicker and smoother than any Lush Mask I've tried before. This is no surprise - the main ingredients are calamine powder, glycerin and kaolin. There's nothing in there to impart a lumpiness. From Lush one might expect pieces of rose petals to up the skincaretainement value, but Rosy Cheeks feels and smears like a classic mud mask.

It is, however, much more assertively rosy than any mud mask I've seen before. Much, much more assertively. As an avowed Rose Scent Lover, I actually find it somewhat unpleasant. For one thing it isn't the sweet rose scent I enjoy so much; it's a stinkier, dirtier rose scent also used in Lush's Rose Jam Bubbleroon. It's a fine smell as far as it goes, but sniffing the pot in store is a qualitatively different olfactory experience than slathering the product all around your nose-place at your house. It’s overwhelming.

Whether the smell faded or I acclimated to it the nasal assault did stop after the mask had been on my face for a bit. I didn't get as much wear out of this mask as I do other Lush masks - it dried up harder and faster than other Fresh Face Masks I enjoy. On washing it off I was very disappointed with Rosy Cheeks, because it gave me a Rosy Face.

I have normal, blessedly resilient skin - not especially oily or dry, very occasional spots, generally resilient and healthy. Rosy Cheeks, which pledges to deep cleanse as well as soothe and calm left me red faced. Significantly more red-faced than one would expect from the circulatory stimulation of a generic mud mask. What's more, in spite of the glycerin, Rosy Cheeks leaves my face feeling tight, while my ol' favorite Fresh Face Masks cleanse without stripping. Although this is something I wouldn't ordinarily rate, I find myself wondering if Paula isn't right about added fragrance being an irritant, at least in so far as the "the dose makes the poison" as my nose detected a mighty dose in this product.

As you may have guessed, I will not be rebuying Rosy Cheeks. It's clearly not for me. What's more, I don't feel comfortable suggesting it might be appropriate for a person with n-skintype, because again: this product made my normally non-reactive, resilient face red, tight, and uncomfortable. It may be that one ingredient is my own personal, heretofore undiscovered Achilles’ heel of irritation, but I am very skeptical and would advise potential buyers to tread lightly at a minimum, and preferably to save the five dollars and buy a Fresh Face Mask that imparts more benefit and skincaretainement with less irritation and lower cost.

Conclusion: Expensive, boring texture, smelly, uncomfortable. Rosy Cheeks is a turd of a face mask.



Submitted October 28, 2015 at 09:43PM by kstoops2conquer http://ift.tt/1kaDVNg SkincareAddiction

No comments:

Post a Comment