Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Bread using beer rather than water Breadit

I made these 70% hydration batards using a 750 mL bottle of Trader Joe's Providential Golden Ale.

809 grams King Arthur Bread Flour

270 grams King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour

5 grams yeast

20 grams kosher salt

755 grams beer (The 750 mL weighed 755 grams)

Mixed liquid, flours and yeast in stand mixer using paddle. Allowed it to stand covered in the mixer's bowl for 3 hours. I have one pound of leftover dough (pate fermente?) from last weeks batch. I add the 20 gr salt to that leftover dough. After the three hours, and using the dough hook, I add 1 ounce pieces of the preferment to the dough and machine knead for about 12 minutes. The dough temperature is about 77 to 78 degrees F and makes a pretty good windowpane.

I empty the mixing bowl and take off 1 pound of dough to be used in next weeks batch. I put that into a silicone bag and store it in the refrigerator for 3 days. Then it goes into the freezer for a couple of days. I put it in the refrigerator the day before I want to make the next batch of dough.

I then make 4 one pound rough shaped loaves. Put them into plastic bags for one 1 hour.

I use the convection setting for 500 degrees F. After the hour I degass and make final shape. That rests an additional hour. By then the oven up to temperature.

Loaves are put into oven and oven sprayed with water. It gets sprayed again each minute for 3 minutes. Timer is set for 8 minutes. Then the temperature is dropped to 450 F and timer is set for an additional 12 minutes. Total time 23 minutes.

Normally I make boules and they fit the baking stone just fine. These batards had more spring than I anticipated consequently they kissed.

Personally, I would never use the beer again. The bread flavor was excellent, however I don't think the flavor is $5.00 better than water. Anyway, I enjoy drinking that ale much more.http://ift.tt/1RfkmhJ



Submitted October 29, 2015 at 09:48AM by kojak343 http://ift.tt/1Rfko9h Breadit

No comments:

Post a Comment