Thursday, October 1, 2015

I tried to call the "real world" for help to escape a dream. LucidDreaming

About ten years ago I experienced a dream so lucid it scared me, during and after. I definitely haven't ever forgotten about it and probably never will. I haven't achieved the lucidity of that specific dream since and I'm fairly certain I don't want to ever again.

The dream itself wasn't that interesting (to others at least). I was obsessed at the time with having a lucid dream inside an old memory from childhood. After much practice I finally fell asleep one night and "awoke" inside a dream/memory in my mind of being inside my grandmother's old house that she had when I was a toddler/young child. I was an adult in the dream, and it like I was transplanted into the memory to explore it (fun!). The house was empty except for myself, but it was set up with all the same furniture, clutter, food in the refrigerator, etc. that could have been there in my memory of it from a random day in 1989. It was all as crystal clear and "real" as reality itself. Nothing distinguished that it was a dream except for my own mind knowing that it was. Well, until I glanced at an alarm clock and it was just a bunch of glowing red, scrambled dots instead of any actual time but I knew that was to be expected. I spent a good amount of time wandering through the house. Looking at the old labels on food in the pantry and kitchen (still slightly "scrambled" or off but they still had the appropriate style for the decade overall). Going from room to room, opening drawers and dressers and closets and being nosy. After a while there was only so much I could do and I started to want to wake up or move on to another dream but neither were happening. I ran to the backside of the house and looked outside at the rest of the neighborhood. Nothing moved except for the wind. No animals. No other humans. No cars. No noise. Nothing. And I couldn't get my mind to create anything else for me. I panicked a bit and felt trapped. I wanted out. It felt too real and I was all alone in a memory in my mind where technically no one existed anymore.

I had a flip phone at the time, and I remember frantically pulling it out of my pocket to try to "call" for help. The screen read different, jumbled things every time I looked at it. The buttons' numbers and letters were constantly switching places or had a computer error/glitch look to them. So by memory of where the buttons were I dialed my boyfriend's phone number. It would just ring and ring of course until I would hang up and try again. I even attempted texting him. Typing out through the scrambled texts "HELP I'M TRAPPED IN MY DREAM! Wake me up!". I began screaming for help, and for whatever reason felt that "help" was literally above me somehow. I started to throw things at the ceiling, looking up and still yelling for help. Then my dream/memory began to feel different. I could "sense" or "feel" that my consciousness was just aware of a 3D display of this memory inside my brain. The dimensions of things began to change as I moved around. Some things began to only be 2D, disappearing into what looked like a screen of pixels once viewed from the side. I began to hit redial on my phone repeatedly until a piece of the ceiling crumbled and a black hole appeared. It was like the memory was crumbling away, like a scene from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I closed my eyes and ducked down into the fetal position and covered my head, terrified that I was losing my mind or dying. When I reopened my eyes I was lying on my side, in my bed, covered in sweat. I was so convinced at the reality of it that I called my boyfriend immediately and told him about it. I even asked if he had any missed calls or texts from me.



Submitted October 01, 2015 at 10:55PM by beardjournals http://ift.tt/1GllgmK LucidDreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment