Thursday, September 24, 2015

You can't imagine that smell.. nosleep

The only way to start this story is to go back about 15 years ago when I was growing up north western New Jersey. Every town and every state has their own local lore and scary fireside tales or some variation of commonly used stories. In my little backwoods town there was this specific tale that would always send sharp chills over every inch of my skin. This wasn't about a creature, human, nor an object; but an abandoned camp ground set back a few miles from the main road. Nestled up to a small green tinged lake, this camp had been built as a "Seasonal local" run off spot during summer in the 70's, when the big lake was over crowded with New York tourists. In its prime hundreds, if not thousands, of people would come and swim in the lake, camp in the cabins and enjoy a peaceful summer's break from the chaos of the not so far away city life. The booming camp would see itself wither away slowly as over-crowding took over. Not to mention that the "seasonal locals" started to become full fledged local people. Eventually as time does so often the camp became forgotten and everything was boarded up with sheets of plywood or padlocked. Leaving mother nature to do her best and retake these once popular social grounds.

Well one fall evening, as this story and so many others go, you can see my hesitation to believe this story right off the bat. This one fall evening many years after the camp had become overgrown with weeds, the grass standing at knee height, and trees fallen among the ruins of cabin's long since abandoned and falling themselves. A group of now local teenagers, see the cliche horror story lines coming, set out on an over night stay at camp forgotten.

The kids made their way through each building that wasn't padlocked or boarded up. Climbing in and over fallen timber used to build these once beautiful log cabins, they rummaged about lost trinkets and random bits of things lost long ago. Looking for a place to settle in for the night they finally decided on a cabin that overlooked the camp's beach on the lake. Two trails led from the cabin, one to the beach the other through a wooded area to the rest of the cabins, no more than a few hundred feet away. From what older people whom had visited the camp in their youth have said, this specific cabin set atop a hill over looking the beach, was never available for rental even during the colder off season months. Everything in this cabin was undisturbed, even to the point that the hinges still held enough grease to ease the door open on.

The group of teenagers eased the door open and made their way inside. With flashlights and lanterns in hands they poured over the cabin's interior, happy to have found where they will be staying. Dust had layered the horizontal angles of the window sills, and mold was crawling up the walls. Particles went crazy and turned the cabin into an almost smokey haze with staffs of light cutting this way and that. Feeling they were deep enough in the woods and away from sight and sound, they decided that now a fire was in order. A few of the group went out and collected wood and kindling while the rest made ready wooden bunks that were built into the walls or clearing off spots for their bedding on the floor.

This is were the stories get mixed up and deviate. One story says that a call to the Sheriff's office came in reporting a truck pulling out the of road leading from the camp ground swerved and drove into a tree. The Sheriff's deputy responded to where the accident was, finding a still running truck that had hit a tree with no passengers. the deputy called for back up and began a search of the area. The search continued for any signs of the driver until the following morning. A call came over the Sheriff's radio requesting an ambulance, and the coroner. The responding deputy had looked up and down the road all night finding nothing, until the morning where he and another deputy made their way into the camp grounds. Both men were drown further into the camp ground by a nauseating grotesque odor. The smell led them straight to the beach that sat along the green lake over looked by the cabin the kids setup camp in. Concentric circles or random body parts covered the pure white silty sand of the beach. The driver of the truck that was stranded after hitting a tree was no where to be found, and now they had what looked like some manner of twisted ritual murder scene to deal with. The police report on this case is said to be a cold case with no leads, and unable to identify any of the victims, except two. A young female, 17 years old, was found in a near by cabin that had a wall fall down. She was found under the rubble of the wall cowering and trembling in absolute fear. The only other victim that was identified was a young male, 19, was found in pieces, ripped apart at every joint and smoldering in the fire pit, face up.

The other versions are very similar to this and all end with bits of body parts and flesh scattered across the beach. Each story more horrific than the last.

This is where I jump in. Fifteen years ago I was attending a social function that was being hosted a new camp ground that had just opened the year prior. It would be my first overnight experience outside of sleeping in a tent in my own yard, you can hardly call that camping. Well all told the first day and night went well. We ate at the dining hall, played soccer and baseball in the fields, went fishing and well you get it, it was a camping perfect story. The second night was far worse and the reason I left the weekend retreat. We had just finished a giant bon-fire dance, we were kids don't judge they have dances with or for everything, with all involved and then it was lights out. Lights out was the time you went back to your cabin and turned the lights out, no boys in girls cabin's and the other way around. This didn't stop most, and since I was an adolescent boy that would gladly have sold my soul for some sort of action, I went out to meet with a girl that I had liked. This required skill and patience, to escape the cabin without notice was not an easy task, and sneaking about a campground that was more open fields with cabins set in the middle was worse. Eventually I made my way out of the cabin by climbing up on the rafters and out a window that was on the short walls at the peak of the ceiling. When I met up with my little hot date we made our way into the woods. I'm not a brave man, and as a teenager hopped up on adrenaline and the thought of potential action, I was not about to spend more time walking further into the woods. Before anything got started we both started to smell the most ungodly horrid smell, a smell that would overwhelm the smell of a refrigerator full of rotten meat and fruit. We immediately thought it was a skunk and ran off to find another spot to fool around. I wont go into details here, that's for me, but afterwards. Afterwards we went back to our respective cabins, I climbed back into mine, thanks to a smaller apple tree that was tall enough for me to reach the window. I was awoken a few short hours later by rustling in my own cabin. All of the boys were gathering up their things and packing bags. I looked out side and it was just barely daylight. The sun was peaking over the hills and trees enough to give the sky a dull orange color. The smell was back, and more powerful than ever. That's when I realized that people were frantic outside the cabin as well. Shouts to get back inside, shouts to get outside, screams of terror and screams of confusion. Every kid, counselor, and chaperon were accounted for and we were all bused out to the local school where our parents or rides were to come get us. We heard rumors of people seeing things at night, which could have been me and my friend, but we heard rumors of worse. The worst was a counselor was found dead and someone else as well, well the counselor was said to be found in a smoldering fire pit on a hill overlooking the beach, they have no idea who was ripped apart on the beach.

Last night I went on a ghost hunt, I do that kind of paranormal bullshit now a days. I don't think I believe in it, but there has been too many coincidences to not look for something. I went back to that rumor camp, I still think it was all bullshit and a bear must have killed a deer or something because, that smell... you cant imagine that smell. I personally think no-one was killed, it never made it in the local paper, and I think I know most people in town and no-one was missing. I think it was just kids over reacting with big imaginations. Back to the ghost hunt, I went back to rumor camp, and I setup 4 digital voice recorder around a few of the cabins, one down on the beach by the lake, and one on the hill overlooking the lake. I marked each voice recorder with a Chem-light, or glow stick. I also setup two cameras with Infrared lighting, one facing the hill top and one facing the beach. If there was something that happened at the locations as the rumors said I'd like to know about it. I also am caring around a voice recorder to do evp sessions as I am in different locations. I also cary around a thermal camera, a regular handheld camera, back up batteries and flashlights among other things you get the idea, I'm loaded down with this stuff. Pretty much nothing terrifying happened that night, aside from the creeks and cracks coming from the wood, as you would expect.

My night got significantly weirder quickly. It started with my handheld camera battery dying, to be expected as well. Immediately after that I started to smell it again, that smell from so long ago, the smell you cant imagine it. I have been going over film, actually I'm taking a break from watching another roll right now, to try and piece everything together. I remember walking towards the beach and sitting on the hill over looking the beach with the camera that was setup off to my left about 40 feet away. I don't remember anything till morning light.

Tape 1: Time: 11:42PM I can see myself sitting ontop of the hill my left side is exposed to the camera, I can make out my surroundings and everything seems ok.

Time: 12:05 AM I stand up and start to walk toward the beach.

Time:12:57 AM I can hear voices, I think I hear myself talking, calmly to someone.

Time 01:03 AM I can definately hear more voices now, the chatter is loud. I dont remember this nor anyone being there.

Time 02:00 AM I walk up the hill from the beach, my right side is exposed to the camera. When I reach the top I turn to the camera and walk toward it. I look into the lens and smile, fuck this is creepy. Camera pans to face the beach.

Time 02:01 AM The beach is littered with objects, due to the distance I cannot make out any objects.

Camera stays on beach the rest of the night till the morning when you see me walk down to the beach in shock at what I am seeing.

I am afraid to look at the other camera as I know what could be on there. I want to look because I want to know what I was doing. I don't know what to do.

The morning came and I remember looking down the hill and seeing body parts in concentric circles laying on the perfectly white silty sand. That smell was in the air again, you cant imagine that smell.



Submitted September 25, 2015 at 03:24AM by cerile http://ift.tt/1G5CEfl nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment