Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Am I justified in asking in asking my flatmate to move out, or unknowingly being an unreasonable dick ? Advice

I have rented a 3 BHK apartment, where I stay in one of the rooms, and have found two other people to occupy the other two rooms.

Two months back, a person (lets call him X) moved into the apartment to occupy one of the rooms, and when I showed him the place, I made it very clear that our expectation was that the person moving in bought a microwave and a television (the rest of the furnishings are bought by the other two of us, so its fair). Since I like being frank and not hiding anything - I stated it upfront, along with the rent and security deposit and he readily agreed saying he was acceptable with it. He seemed like a nice guy - we asked him to move in.

Now, there is a concept of a Security Deposit, that each occupant needs to pay - it's a fairly large sum, that is kept with the landlord, while staying, which gets refunded when leaving). A day before he moved in, he told me he was short on money, and whether I could pay the deposit for him - he would pay me when he got his salary in the first week of August. I was accommodating and I agreed paying for him.

10th Aug - he hasn't paid the money or said anything yet. I wait for a few days and politely ask him - he says he has forgotten and apologises, saying he will transfer immediately.

14th Aug - Still no transfer. I ask him politely once more - he says he is sorry but he is low on cash, and that he will transfer 10%, and if he can transfer the rest in a week.

20th Aug - Still no transfer. I go to his room, and say I won't leave till he transfers the 10% (something better than nothing). He does it.

30th Aug - Ask him for the rest - he says he will pay it when he gets his salary first week of Sept.

First week of Sept - No money paid, I go to him and tell him I'm desperate for money, and that I need it - he says he will transfer 40% of the remaining. And if he can transfer the rest in 3-4 days.

It is now end of September, and he still hasn't transferred the rest of the money. He hasn't bought either the microwave or the television, despite my repeatedly requesting him, even though he has been using all our furnishings in the house like the Refrigerator, washing machine, etc. He made no mention of even getting any of those items, and whenever asked, says, "Sure sure, I'll get it.", And we never hear anything.

I finally had enough, and I told him last evening that he needed to vacate at the end of October - he seemed really remorseful, and apologised and admitted to his mistakes, and asked if we could give him another chance, and that he genuinely forgot all those times, and he should've told me upfront that he was going to take some time to pay it.

I told him I had enough, but he kept pleading for another chance . At the end it, I genuinely started feeling bad for him, and felt like I was being an asshole. But before the conversation, I was sick and tired of having had my trust betrayed, torn to shreds, in multiple avenues (the money/the furnishings/etc). I am someone for him the ethics, and integrity of a person is really important, and I can't put up with someone who destroys all trust like this. But now I feel bad after he pleaded so much yesterday.

Redditors, do you think I am justified in asking him to leave, or am I being an unreasonable asshole ? From my experience, such people actually never change, and will just cause more worry in future. Please advice!

tl;dr --> Flatmate moved in, and said he would pay the upfront amount later. Still hasnt paid in two months after REPEATED requests. Hasn't honoured his other commitments as well. I asked him to leave - he pleaded for another chance. Am I being a dick ?



Submitted September 30, 2015 at 04:38PM by hakuna-matata1 http://ift.tt/1JC9Vih Advice

No comments:

Post a Comment