Monday, September 28, 2015

Water Softener tea

So, my wife and I have been debating about whether or not to install a water softener in our house. The city water tastes horrible; we have a Brita pitcher and also a filtration system in our refrigerator and that's the water I use for tea. Obviously, those filters just make the water taste better but do not affect the hardness. We have extremely hard water - after using my kettle for a few days it goes from spotless to crusted pretty quickly. I use citric acid to clean it at least once a week. I'm ok with the status quo, but the wife is concerned with what all that hard water is doing to the more pricey and less easily replaced appliances.

So here's my question: Will a water softener affect my tea in terms of flavor or brewing parameters? I know I can always buy spring water, which is what I do at work. It's a bit of a nuisance, but you do what you have to do.

This has nothing to do with tea, but I also know that too much water softening and you'll never have another decent hair day in your life.

TL;DR: Do water softeners have an adverse effect on tea brewing/flavor?



Submitted September 28, 2015 at 07:50PM by curlygc http://ift.tt/1MB2QDp tea

No comments:

Post a Comment