Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Can bacteria survive low temperatures like when frozen into ice-cubes? askscience

I have a question about water borne diseases. I am a undergrad student living in New Delhi, India. I don't have much money or a place for a refrigerator so to quench the need of cold drinking water, I buy ice cubes from the market and mix it with the 20-liter mineral water kegs. The purity of the mineral water kegs can be vouched for (well, to a certain degree) but I have no idea as to how good or bad was the quality of water which was frozen into ice cubes. The cubes do not contain any dirt or suspended matter. I was concerned more about the bacterial growth.

Can bacteria survive such low temperatures? Maybe they hibernate when the water freezes but come back to live when mixed with the warm mineral water? Should I stop using those ice cubes?



Submitted September 29, 2015 at 12:03PM by generic_jackass http://ift.tt/1FFOVfq askscience

No comments:

Post a Comment