Monday, September 28, 2015

Need some help with experimental spectroscopy AskPhysics

I'm currently working on a spectroscopy project at my university and my professor wants me to run some simple measurements on a piece of ruby.

I already know what I'm looking for: a peak around 694.2nm. I'm using an argon laser. We were able to get some pretty good results at room temp, but as soon as I turned the refrigerator on, the vibrations caused the sample to fall and now I can't get it into a position where the light reflecting off the crystal gets anywhere near the slit. Here is our setup.

I know it's pretty hard to give an answer that will actually solve the problem, but any tips would be much appreciated. There's some bad news about the setup and then some worse news.

The bad news is the mount we are using. The worse news is that yes, that is a semi-circular, rounded sample.

Is there anything short of cutting the ruby or getting a new sample you guys can offer?

Thanks in advance!



Submitted September 29, 2015 at 04:43AM by jewish-mel-gibson http://ift.tt/1NYhbvg AskPhysics

No comments:

Post a Comment