Monday, July 27, 2015

Heat Stroke or Tobacco Withdrawal. I could use some help. AskDocs

 56 - Male - 5'11'' - 180 pounds - Caucasian - 3 days - Southern U.S. My Father is a typical stubborn southern man and he insists on drinking while mowing the lawn during the hottest part of the day. While getting ready for work three days ago, he came in from mowing and kept mumbling that he got too hot outside. I cooled him down and made him drink some water. Afterwords he was confused and lethargic. He kept trying to go outside and mow some more. I called an ambulance but the EMT's said that he probably had mild heat exhaustion and my father completely refused to go to the hospital. The next day, my dad seemed a little slow, but better. However, he went to finish mowing (I would have finished for him, but I work a lot) and he drank five beers during his frequent breaks. I couldn't get him to drink any water and he seemed fairly coherent when he came inside. Today, he woke up and had absolutely no memory of the last two days. He has been extremely confused and lethargic all day. (For example, he was looking for the trash bags in the refrigerator.) He has very little balance and he is very irritable. I tried to get him to the hospital but he got extremely upset every time I mentioned it. Also, I also want to mention that he quit chewing tobacco three days ago, and his feet and ankles are swollen. I absolutely don't know what to do and my neuroscience degree doesn't help in situations like this. I can't force him to go to the hospital and he can strangely maintain coherence whenever the ambulance comes for him. 


Submitted July 27, 2015 at 01:07PM by AskOneTheWho http://ift.tt/1S6oIwd AskDocs

No comments:

Post a Comment