Monday, July 27, 2015

Adventures in Plumbing by a non-Plumber Plumbing

Let me start this off by saying I'm not a plumber. I'm an electrician. Let me also begin by saying that my wife likes filtered water but thus far we've been drinking the "filtered" water from the refrigerator. Needless to say it's not up to our standards so today I went out and bought one of those filters that hangs out under the sink and has its own faucet. Well from the get go, I was sabotaged. the filter wanted a 1/4" nipple to connect to and everything under my sink was 1/2". So a frantic trip to the hardware store later (trying to do all of this before my wife got home as a surprise) and I had everything I needed. I ended up replacing the cold water shut off since it was old and didn't work. Upon pulling the old shut off valve, i found a lot of built up debris in the pipe. Like, lots of mud and some gravel. Is this normal? I chipped some of the grime out with a screwdriver and ran my finer around inside the pipe until I couldn't feel any more rocks. Anyway I replaced the valve, got everything connected and turned the water back on at the main. Well... suddenly I had no pressure at the faucet. Not even from the hot side and I hadn't even touched that part of the sink. I realize in retrospect that I probably should have turned on the cold water line after I connected it to the shutoff valve but before I hooked it up to the fixture to blow all of that crap I had dislodged out. Is that standard practice in the trade anyway? well, with my wife's imminent return home from work I dismantled what I could of the faucet and blew out all of the pieces i could separate from the base. It seems to have helped but the pressure isn't perfect. Filter works and she's thrilled by it but I wanted to ask all of you how i should have gone about it. Certainly doing more research than simply buying all the stuff might have helped (I didn't even know if my pipes were copper or galvanized when I went to the hardware store). I'm just curious about the trade and I'm far too busy during the week with my actual trade to apprentice a plumber. I would like to learn a little though. In this, something so obviously basic, where did I go wrong? Thanks for reading!



Submitted July 28, 2015 at 09:40AM by Smoke_Stack707 http://ift.tt/1D7wEqf Plumbing

No comments:

Post a Comment