Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Deconstructing Eden Review Indiemakeupandmore

Their tagline is Inspired Perfumes for Unusual People and I...did not pick many unusual notes. Sorry. I tend to gravitate towards...more mainstream scents and more florals than anything. ALSO, this will be long because I don’t know how to edit myself.

Overall shop review: Deconstructing Eden is an Etsy storefront with a large variety of different scents. All their scents are perfumer’s alcohol based, so they’re sprays...which I like for convenience reasons as I have a whole bottle of perfume oil that spilled in my purse one day. On the about page it says they are 50% oils and 50% perfumer's alcohol. These are some seriously professional smelling perfumes. If you have a friend you’re not sure is interested in indie, or you’re not sure how they’ll do with a perfume oil, I’d say give them a look because despite the tagline, there are some excellently blended beautiful, scents available.

I got a sample pack of 7 scents and she included a freebie. So I got 8 scents altogether. Originally I was only going to get 3 scents but this is the scent list and I got lost. http://ift.tt/1Kzy5R0 . She ships from Kansas (so international customers might run into trouble since everything is alcohol based but I don’t know). And I swear, I ordered at like...2AM est last Thursday and she shipped by 10AM the same day. Like it was in the post office. I physically received my package on Monday. This was what was inside

Everything altogether now. Dollar for scale. I'm fresh out of bananas The slightly different looking card on the top right is a refrigerator magnet! (and someone showing off their excellent penmanship. It’s not me, though. What I make is barely recognized as letters. I also don’t thank myself enough.)

Close up of a vial. YEP they are all individually vacuum sealed.

Scent reviews below. Be warned though. I am terrible at this. I have a vague understanding of what things smell like and I learned a lot from this order and a couple of my previous indie orders, but I’m still...conservative with my scent picks. Feeling a bit more bold now though.


Adore from the Love: Light series

Notes: Violets, citrus, jasmine, ylang ylang, lily of the valley, magnolia, tuberose, lotus, iris, bourbon vanilla, white musk and rose.

In the bottle: This smells very strongly of one or several department store perfumes, but I’m actually terrible at scents so...I have no idea which ones but holy crap this is familiar smelling. I’ve used something like this before. I don’t think I would have picked it, maybe it was something I got as a GWP with a cosmetics purchase or something. It has a wet...almost sharpness to it, but it’s not sharp. A lot of florals, I smell the jasmine and the lily of the valley and the ylang ylang. The rest of them all blend together to me. I can’t detect any rose, or vanilla.

First few minutes: I now know that ylang ylang amplifies initially on my skin like crazy. At this stage it's ylang ylang with a touch of musk and not much else. This one is very feminine and very mature. It’s ripe? For some reason I feel like this is more of an autumn scent that is also mature. Possibly too mature for me.

15min laterish? Dry-down: NOW I get some vanilla. The ylang ylang has stepped back, but it’s still there being...ylangy. The musk is also still noticeable, but it’s more musky vanilla with some florals in the background. I think I’m getting a touch of violet and it’s adding a slightly powdery but not soapy note.

Sillage: Medium? Someone in polite conversation with you will get a light whiff of you, but you won’t stink up a room.

Wear time: 4-5 hours

Verdict: Not ideal for me, but now I know that I should be careful with ylang ylang. I won’t get a full size of this


Dragonfly '15 from the LE summer collection

Notes: Bluebells, lavender, heather, linden blossoms, violet leaf absolute, sunflowers, green leaves, still water, and sheer melon.

In the bottle: Green, this is super green. It smells like freshly cut...something. It’s not quite grass, maybe tropical grass if it was super green. Did I mention this was green? It’s got a fairly sharp scent to it. It’s all green leaves with a hint of melon.

First few minutes: Yup it’s green. It DOES smell of summer, somehow, also knowing the name and giving it another sniff it does kind of smell like what a dragonfly wing would smell like. Green, shiny/almost metallic, and alive. Also I get more melon now.

Dry-down: This one stays roughly the same on me the entire time. The violet comes through a bit more with a slight powdery feel but I never get any of the other florals, which is interesting since lavender tends to amplify on me.

Sillage: Mmm medium-low. People could still smell this on you, but it’s more subtle and clings closer than the other samples I got.

Wear time: 3-4 hours

Verdict: It’s well formulated and unlike anything I’ve ever had...but I think melon scents give me a headache.


Juliet from the Literature collection: (My freebie. Clearly she saw I liked florals so she added more florals so I could flower while I flower)

Notes: Sweet peas for good bye, mimosa for modesty and sensitivity, Red Peonies for devotion and Solomon's Seal for secrecy, anchoring all of it with delicate white musks and elder wood.

In the bottle: Sweet florals dominate, it has an almost candy-quality to it. It seems like there’s a fruit in it but there isn’t.

First few minutes: Oh I am a pretty young princess. I might be young enough and dumb enough to die for this dude my family hates that I just met even though he totally had was into my one of my cousins like 10 minutes before he decided I was the bee’s knees (can you tell which is my least fav Shakespeare play?). Needless to say this is very youthful and sweet.

Dry-down: It stays light, it stays girly, it stays supremely feminine.

Sillage: Light-medium

Wear time: 3-4 hours

Verdict: I like this. I’m glad I tried it now because I probably would have eventually. I don’t think it’s perfect for me, and I probably won’t buy a full size, but it’s so nice it’s probably right for someone else.


Lakshmi from the Deities collection

Notes: Lakshmi: Deep, velvety red roses, two different types of amber, a touch of Sambac jasmine, and creamy Mysore sandalwood.

In the bottle: I smell all of the notes...but probably couldn’t distinguish between the two types of amber. The rose isn’t powdery and the sandalwood isn’t overpowering. The jasmine is on top and it’s very wet. I thought this might be too strong from the bottle.

First few minutes: Oh, roses on a bed of jasmine in a room made of sandalwood (can you make a room out of sandalwood?). The amber’s there too but not warmed yet. I see why this is in the goddess collection. Wearing this I feel like a relaxed goddess or at least like the temple. There’s no incense or anything but it feels like wearing this you wouldn’t be out of place at a temple. Also I feel like a person going to an Aveda salon and/or a high class yoga studio. Whichever.

Dry-down: So I learned that my skin clings to sandalwood like it clings to patchouli (but the sandalwood is MUCH more pleasant to my nose). It seems like if I don’t wash it off the sandalwood will cling for days. The roses fade first and the sandalwood and jasmine remain the longest.

Sillage: High. I amplify sandalwood and you probably COULD smell me across the room when I’m wearing it.

Wear time: Forever and a half. IDK I washed it off after 8 hours and I feel like I can still smell a hint of sandalwood every now and then

Verdict: I like it. A lot. On certain days I’m sure I love it. Probably not everyday though or I might actually turn into a sandalwood tree.


Lena: A House scent

Notes: dew covered pink and purple lilacs, willow leaves floating on a gentle breeze and soft blue sky on a bed of barely there white musk.

In the bottle: Fields, it smells like a field of flowers. Those bright ones you see in pictures. It smells purple. In the bottle it’s wet. I am beginning to notice a trend. Wet things smell wet but when they dry they smell less wet. Who would have thunk it?

First few minutes: The musk IS barely there, but the lilacs really shine...because they have no other choice...because they are the main part of this scent. It’s a super soothing and relaxing scent to me. It smells like the field you’d have a picnic in on a warm spring day...if you lived in a romance novel.

Dry-down: More of the same. This stays fairly similar through out the entire wear. It never gets powdery, it loses the wet quality but it’s always very recognizable as lilacs.

Verdict: Love. Floral and feminine but not overly sweet. It’s a soothing scent to me.


Phedre' from the Kushiel’s Legacy series:

Notes: White musk, cereus blooms, jasmine essential oil, rose, pomegranate, red apples

In the bottle: Oh boy am I going to love this. I can barely even tell what I smell but it’s sweet with a slightly musky and slightly sexy underside and I like it. I can tell there’s apples and pomegranate...I think, or at least some type of fruit.

First few minutes: Please don’t change, please don’t change...oh you changed and I like it more. The florals come out and the fruity scent stays in the background. This is super feminine. Super...not girly but young woman-y? It’s also sexy somehow.

Dry-down: Similar to the first few minutes but the musk grows a bit stronger

Sillage: Medium

Wear time: 4-5 hours

Verdict: Love this, somehow had this order for like 2 days and am almost out of the sample. PANIC.


Silver Moon a House scent:

Notes: Moonflower, white amber, musk, jasmine, white ginger.

In the bottle: I am cackling madly because I love this. I loooove ginger and I smell ginger. I feel like ginger is an underused note in scents. Everybody should use more ginger. It’s interesting because it’s a sweet ginger made sweeter by, what I’m going to assume is moonflower although I have never smelled a moonflower as I am not from the moon.

First few minutes: You know what it reminds me of, even though it doesn’t have any tea notes? Kumiho from BPAL. That’s probably JUST the ginger and I think I like this more because it combines ginger, one of my favorite things, with a light, non-powdery floral. One of my OTHER favorite things. It’s like magic. I don’t get any musk or amber but what do I know.

Dry-down: Oh there’s some musk, but I still don’t know well the amber is. Oh well, it doesn’t need it. I still smell like ginger. I’m a spicy moon princess. Sailor Moon as a sushi side dish to cleanse your palette.

Sillage: Medium

Wear time: 4-5 hours

Verdict: Love. Oddly, despite the name I want to wear this as a daytime scent. Until I die.


Violette another house scent:

Notes: Deep purple violets, lavender, lilacs and hyacinths.

In the bottle: VIOLETS and other purple accessories. But mostly violets.

First few minutes: Still violets. They’re nice violets but they are completely overpowering the other purple smells. Violet always has a slightly powdery quality to me. It’s not a bad powdery but it very noticeable here. In terms of purple smelling smells, I prefer Lena because it avoids that slight powderyness...probably because it doesn’t have violets. This is still nice, though.

Dry-down: Still violets. Possibly more powdery. Still not bad but not amazing for me.

*Sillage: Medium

Wear time: 3-4 hours

Verdict: Like, but won’t buy full size.



Submitted July 30, 2015 at 03:50AM by FortunaFish http://ift.tt/1H3V52X Indiemakeupandmore

No comments:

Post a Comment