Friday, September 1, 2017

Super shady landlord... What do you guys think? legaladvice

I'm in Illinois.

My fiance's uncle told us about an available apartment in a complex that he lives in that would save us a ton of money, so naturally, we jumped on it. It's privately owned, the owner isn't part of a major corporation like Cunat or whatnot.

We were originally told that the apartment would be 700, all utilities included. No security deposit. No pet fee. Awesome. Apparently something got lost in transition (telephone game-type shenanigans).

We were then told it's actually 750, plus electric, but the guy was willing to cut the security deposit in half-ish (350) in exchange for my fiance's uncle, my fiance, and I going and getting the apartment ready to move in to. The work included a seriously fucked up amount of cleaning (the last tenants were absolute pigs and the windows were left open so there were spiders everywhere), repainting the entire apartment, purchase and installation of a new toilet, a new refrigerator, and a new sink.

We met the dude today to sign the lease and pay first month's rent and the remainder of the security deposit for a total of $1100. When we met, he asked for $1500 apparently "forgetting" that my fiance's uncle and the landlord worked out a deal to cut the security deposit in half in exchange for all the work we had to do. When we tried to remind him about the deal, he stood his ground, so we called his uncle to meet us and "remind" him. At which point, he seemed to "remember" the deal.

He also did not have a lease prepared for us, but gladly took our checks (something I was not personally okay with, but it's been done). He said he would have a lease prepared tomorrow for us.

I recorded the conversation we had after my fiance's uncle showed up just to cover my ass, cause I am not about to have this guy come beat down my door whenever he feels like and try to get more money from us for whatever reason. I also took pictures of the apartment before we went in to clean and paint, and plan to take pictures after all of the work is done.

Anything else I need to know or do to cover my ass?



Submitted September 02, 2017 at 07:46AM by anooci http://ift.tt/2iQfDNi legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment