Friday, September 1, 2017

[Build Complete] Punching Above it's Body Weight (or, yet another tiny Ryzen build) buildapc

I would like to shoutout /u/awesomegamer919, /u/Bobicusx and /u/Dante-Alighieri for posting in my [Build Ready] thread, which can be found here, as well as /r/buildapc as a whole for being an excellent source of information. My goals/expectations/use cases are listed in the [Build Ready] thread, so you can judge for yourself if I achieved them.

It seems that mITX Ryzen builds are pretty popular nowadays!

Pics

Preliminary Benchmarking, mostly looking at thermals

Just a few (more like a book?) notes about the build itself:

CPU and CPU Cooler The decision was between an i7-7700k and Ryzen 1700x. Long story short , I use my PC for more than just gaming, and given that the GPU tends to bottleneck most heavy gaming situations, I went with the Ryzen. The CPU cooler is the Noctua U9S. It fits like a charm in the M1. Please note that the cooler only comes with one 92mm fan, I purchased a second one separately.

GPU For small ITX cases, given the limited airflow, you typically want a blower style GPU. This serves the primary function of exhausting hot air out of the case. Blowing the hot GPU air out of the system has significant thermal impact on other components in your case, specifically the CPU. Given my concern with the noise levels of traditional blower style cards, I went with a hybrid blower/water cooled 1080 ti from EVGA. The stock radiator fan on the SC2 Hybrid is only 3-pin, and operates at a fixed RPM/Voltage. To fix this, and give my GPU more dynamic cooling, I replaced the stock fan with a 120mm Noctua NF-F12.

Wire Management It's a cramped case, to put it simply. Even with a SFX PSU, there was very little room for routing cables the way I would like. As shown in the album, I had to use zip ties and velcro straps to pull the MOBO power cables away from the radiator fan. The GPU power cables need to be routed underneath the card itself to reach the power supply, and the tubes carrying liquid coolant from the GPU to the radiator are forced and bent into position a bit too much for my liking.

Noise, Thermals, and Overclocking The case is quiet. I have no exact dB levels, but at idle I can hear the hum of my refrigerator over the case, and the case is right on my desk. Under load it of course gets louder, but stays at good levels. Headphones or speakers at comfortable listening volume easily drown out the case noise. To give an example, I could open my window on a slow day and the ambient noise would overcome the case noise. Thermals are quite good. At idle, CPU hovers around 31 C and GPU stays under 29 C. After preliminary benchmarking, under load, GPU maxes out at about 61 C while CPU caps at 55 C. Given how good the thermals and noise levels are, I am heavily considering overclocking. I had originally not intended to overclock due to thermal concerns related to case size, but it looks like I now have a fair bit of wiggle room with the system temps.

Fan Setup I only have one case fan, The fan attached to the GPU radiator pulling air into the case. The case is small, and requires very little to get positive pressure and airflow. The horizontal CPU cooler orientation pulls the input air from the radiator across the interior of the case, and also has the dual purpose of acting like an exhaust fan. After seeing results, it is my opinion that any more than 2 case fans in the M1 is complete overkill. Maximizing airflow space should be a priority, and mounting anything in the slots under the GPU seems like a waste.

Conclusion I'm very, very happy. The build is small, quiet and, most importantly, powerful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor $301.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler $58.35 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock - X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $149.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $162.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $219.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 HYBRID GAMING Video Card $794.98 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $119.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $19.11 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.4 CFM 92mm Fan $16.49 @ OutletPC
Other Ncase M1 V5 Silver $230.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2173.76
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $2163.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 21:06 EDT-0400


Submitted September 02, 2017 at 06:47AM by PRSYplays http://ift.tt/2gwZoUG buildapc

No comments:

Post a Comment