Monday, September 25, 2017

Getting used to a lower standard of living collapse

Whenever I post in economics collapse threads, I often write posts about Americans just accepting a lowered standard of living. I think our current standard of living is bloated and unsustainable, environmentally, financially, and spatially unsustainable. I do think the American standard of living is going to be lowered as the standard of living in the rest of the world rises.

I do think Americans of the future are going to have to get used to a lowered standard of living. They will have to get used to things like eating less meat, having fewer cars on the road, and eating more local and seasonal food. I see the 1-bedroom and studio apartment models as incredibly wasteful- it is incredibly resource and space intensive for 1 person to have their own kitchen, bathroom, refrigerator, and 600 square foot apartment space, plus a carport. I do think Americans need to get used to living with family or sharing the living room, bathroom, and kitchen with others in a dorm or Communist style apartment. This "move out at 18, live in an apartment by yourself" is a completely unsustainable way of life, it was never going to last, people lived with family and shared resources with their tribe throughout all of history, its not something to be ashamed of.

Whenever I suggest that Americans simply get used to a lower standard of living and a life that involves more resource and space sharing, as well as cutting back on resources used, I always get so much anger. Americans are so shocked and angry at my suggestions that life in the future is just going to be more similar to life in the pre-WW2 America. I just see it as inevitable that the standard of living for a lot of Americans is going to decrease, we can't rely on the post WW2 boom and the USD as World Reserve Currency propping up our standard of living forever.



Submitted September 26, 2017 at 06:12AM by TropicalKing http://ift.tt/2xGhSsd collapse

No comments:

Post a Comment