Monday, September 4, 2017

I've never really learned to grocery shop, as I always eat out, so I need some Reddit help. EatCheapAndHealthy

For the last ten years or so, I've been fortunate enough to never really have to cook, as I was always able to afford to go out to eat. There's only one problem with this. IT'S REALLY EXPENSIVE (Something I didn't really pay attention to, until I started budgeting to track my money, and saw that I was spending way too much on food).

Unfortunately, life changes, things happen, and the situation you find yourself in isn't always going to be peaches and cream. I've had to tighten the purse strings quite a bit, and have managed to develop a budget that will help me survive my economic downturn until something changes again.

This is where I need your help. And I'm finding that it might take a miracle to help.

Assume if you will that I have an empty kitchen. Seriously, after not cooking at home for ten years, the only thing in my fridge or pantry is a left-over togo box from a Chinese take out service, and some ketchup packets from a fast food joint. I'm looking to start building up my pantry, and stocking my refrigerator, but I need to do it slow, as my budget is $120 for the month. I'm a single guy, who works in a restaurant, so I am able to eat for free some nights, but I'd like to be able to just open up the cabinets, and pick out some ingredients to cook myself a meal. TBH, I'm getting really tired of eating at my job all the time.

Do you fellow Redditors have any suggestions for how I could start off with $60 and build a completely stocked refrigerator and pantry, so that I can make meals at home, without worrying about spoilage and waste? I get paid every two weeks, so I would love to be able to spend $60 every two weeks, and be able to get my kitchen up to scratch, and keep it stocked reasonably well.

(Edit:) I've got a fairly diverse palate, and can cook really well, there's just one thing that I don't do, and that's leafy vegetables. I've never been able to get down on a salad, and I know that limits me sometimes as to being able to eat healthy, but I manage.

(Edit #2) I always forget that if I'm not using the Reddit app on my phone I can see things like a sidebar and other helpful stuff. Checking out the Kitchen Essentials lists right now, but still want to hear everyone's take on things.

(Edit #3) I'm planning on starting this adventure tonight with a grocery list, and a trip to the store. I'm nervous, excited, but stoked to be doing the right thing for myself, my finances and my health.



Submitted September 05, 2017 at 02:41AM by TattooedHead http://ift.tt/2eWLt6A EatCheapAndHealthy

No comments:

Post a Comment