Saturday, September 2, 2017

I got a new job. A good job. Now I can start taking revenge. offmychest

I worked for a big box electronics retailer for years, in a small-ish town. They paid me not much above minimum wage. Not much at all. Barely above it, and my state is on par with the federal minimum of $7.25/hr. I was hired at full time, a phrase that nobody had heard in many years. I learned everything about the department, everything about the industry. Trained myself on selling techniques. Had the highest sales in the store. Achieved highest sales in the territory for a whole month once--a territory spanning seven or so states wide. I received no financial reward, or a raise. I attended vendor shows and sales conventions. I traveled across state lines to train people. I became a home audio expert for this store. I watched CES every year. Out of the average one to two hundred training modules that employees completed, I completed over thirteen hundred of them. I began a lifelong obsessive hobby. Working there, I spent more on headphones than most people put as a down payment on a new car. I was so well known that I was stopped, more than once, at a grocery store and asked for advice on televisions, completely off the clock, in different clothes, at a different business. My card is on half the refrigerators in this damn town. I never got a raise, I never got a promotion, I never got a thank you. And then they fired me, because of some insane "we heard you said this to another employee" lie. The other employee in question didn't know what was going on, and also quit over it. The store has never seen smaller profits.

What did I do about it? I finished University. Then I went to that store's competitor. I was hired yesterday. I will now be doing the exact same thing, but for a different store in town. With no sales metrics. No one will ever sit down with me, like a child, and ask, "Hey, your [metric] is a little low. What do you think you could be doing differently?" I will drive that store into the fucking ground. And the best part is: they're paying me more. A lot more. WAY more. And when I'm done, and that store has (metaphorically, guys) been burned to the ground, I will make a great store manager, which is a position that makes more than twice as much as a college professor, before store bonuses. And who knows, maybe go up into corporate from there.



Submitted September 02, 2017 at 08:02PM by Scratchums http://ift.tt/2ePcgS3 offmychest

No comments:

Post a Comment