Friday, January 13, 2017

Pancetta... A Month In The Fridge...Now...? Charcuterie

In late November, I with another farmhand broke down a split hog. We each took half. I set two portions of belly to cure via a modified version of Ruhlman's recipe from Salumi. They came out of the cure and due to an "up in the air" living situation, I set them on cooling racks in a refrigerator set to 36*F. There they have sat until today.

The texture and color has firmed and deepened. I haven't yet weighed it to measure weight loss. My questions are a few.

  1. I don't imagine any harm has come from a month in the fridge, right?
  2. My living situation is fairly set until Feb 1st... I have no curing chamber so will be hanging it in the basement which is quite dry (hygrometer hi/low for the month is 10/57RH) and cool ranging in temp from 55F<->67F. I've hung pancetta here before with pretty good results. No risk going from fridge to these conditions, right?

  3. Generally speaking, since pancetta is an uncased, whole muscle that doesn't rely upon molds to help it age, what are the ideal conditions in which to hang such a creation? I haven't been able to find anything about this.

Thanks as always!



Submitted January 14, 2017 at 10:35AM by Globalksp http://ift.tt/2jP8WdM Charcuterie

No comments:

Post a Comment