Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Lessons learned from Ice Patch start RimWorld

So I started an ice patch playthrough recently (Cassandra, Some Challenge) and there's a fair bit about the game that I've learned in doing so. Right now my base is about 7 years old, and I've got to the point where I have component assembly and am working on deep drilling. Here are some things that I've learned in the process.

  • Cannibalism is not so bad. The penalty for eating a person, while longer in duration, if you manage to cook them, is lighter than the penalty for your colonist not bothering to cook rice and then eating from two small piles of it rather than going to get a meal.
  • Mental breaks are not so bad. Worst thing that happens is they die, they can hurt someone if they're berserk if you're careless. But that leads to the next part.
  • Colonists dying is not so bad. Difficulty of events at least with Cassandra tends to be based on your wealth and your population, so colonists dying is just fewer mouths to feed, and more chance of cargo pods and escape pods.
  • Research is magical. Your building could burn down, your last colonist unconscious, a wanderer could join just as the final colonist expels her last breath, but he will still know how to do electric smelting and component assembly.
  • Raiders don't need to kill or be killed. Most of the time you can hide in your shelter, and if there's stuff outside, they might be happy just taking a few deadman's synthread pants and buggering off.
  • Batteries are dangerous. When everything you own is in a tiny shelter, and you rely on constant production of highly flammable rice, a battery explosion can quickly turn your entire production facility into slag. See "Cannibalism is not so bad"
  • Clothing is warm. Some of my colonists have acceptable safe temperatures of colder than -120 degrees without even attempting to get it (my area only gets to about -60) from dead raiders.
  • Drugs are good. Flake is good for selling. Yayo is good for productivity. Smokeweed is situational, depends on your food situation. With the others I've had a hard time getting Neutroamine. Addiction is not a big deal, see "Colonists dying is not so bad" and "Mental Breaks are not so bad."
  • Luciferium is good. I get 5 lucis from a dead raider, I could sell it for a few hundred silver, or I could give it to the guy dying of infection because my doctor has no medicine and 5 skill. Luciferium will boost immunity for an infection faster than it spreads even with no treatment or bedrest at all. After that you get a super-hero for about 25 days. You can use that excess productivity to get some more, or if you can't find some more, you can always send him on a 5 day caravan mission to "trade" on day 24.
  • Beautiful colonists in enclosed spaces can be good or bad. Everyone wants to sleep with them, and hooking up is a giant morale boost, but if you have one beautiful girl and 3 lonely men, you get a lot of "Rebuffed by Emmie"s going around. Meanwhile, Emmie is happily married with an extended mood boost. But who cares, see "Mental breaks aren't so bad"
  • Graves make decent refrigerators. Corpses won't rot because of the temperature, and won't decay because they're enclosed (well, maybe they do, I haven't fully tested it.) but they can always be opened for a quick snack if necessary.
  • Turrets aren't worth it. Components rarely fall from the sky, but escape pods frequently do. Also see "Colonists dying is not so bad"

I think what's going to likely kill me is everyone getting plague, which seems to be the only disease I've caught up here. I haven't been able to build a high doctor skill, or keep a stock of medicine, and it's a tough one to cure anyways. Apart from that, I'm doing pretty well. I think that the problem I had with ever losing other colonies was being too rich, so even when I was down to a few colonists, I still had hordes of raiders or mechanoids beating down my door. Now I get a guy with an awful club because nobody can be bothered to come up here to get my couple of human leather scraps and reclaimed steel.



Submitted January 05, 2017 at 12:34AM by zeidrich http://ift.tt/2j5AeIH RimWorld

No comments:

Post a Comment