Sunday, January 1, 2017

Ferment stopped? Micromanaging too much? mead

Two days ago i started my primary. 12lbs wildflower honey, plus 4.5g nutrient and 2g DAP. Used two packets of D47. Fermenter is now in my climate controlled spare refrigerator with the climate at 64* and the temp strip attached to the bucket showing 60*. Yesterday I lightly swirled the bucket it side to side but was splashing water from the airlock everywhere so decided I would just open up and stir with a sanitized metal spoon for about a minute.

Yesterday I was getting regular action from the air lock and this morning I went out to make sure my lamp and inkbird temp controller were still functioning but noticed I stopped getting any action from the airlock.

I am doing staggered nutrient following another websites suggestions. This morning I added another 4.5g nutrient and 2g DAP then stirred with a sanitized metal spoon.

Unfortunately with it being New Years Day i cant go out and get a PH monitor or calcium carbonate to fix that if it is indeed the problem.

However this is my first time making mead so I am curious if this is a normal part of the process? I have heard of lag phase and such but wasnt sure if I already passed that since I had action yesterday? Thoughts anyone?



Submitted January 01, 2017 at 10:23PM by tiredofpolticalads http://ift.tt/2hHfmLL mead

No comments:

Post a Comment