Monday, January 2, 2017

Advice on living in a RV GoRVing

TL;DR

I am looking for any and all advice to living in a RV including what kind of RV to buy / avoid, RV Park red / green flags, and generally what it's like.


Background

I am a 30-something, single male with a well-paying job living in a very expensive area. (Note: Many people can probably deduce where I am living / what I do / more. I am being open here to get the most detailed, helpful advice possible. Unless you believe it's important to giving me advice, please refrain from mentioning what you have figured out, even if it seems obvious.)

My Idea

Rather than paying >$2,000 per month for an apartment, I am considering purchasing a size-able (~40 ft.) RV to live in. I am looking in the $200,000 - $300,000 range, e.g. Journey, Meridian, or Forza. (I only know of Winnebago as an RV manufacturer. I am 100% open to others.)

This is, first and foremost, well-aligned with how I want to live. I have lived in 500 sq. ft. apartments and been very happy, and I am a bit of a rolling stone. I don't really plan on driving the RV, but I love the idea that I could.

Secondarily, this is a money-saving venture. My thought is that I couldn't buy a home in this area for another 5 years at the absolute soonest. So, that's 5 years of rent at, at least, $2,200 / month. That's, at least, $132,000, and my rent will likely increase by 5% - 10% each year, meaning we are talking about nearly $150,000 over 5 years, that then becomes a mortgage for a house. Comparing that to a $250,000 loan and using 8 years for the duration, I am looking at $3,100 per month (+ the cost to rent a space); after those 8 years, I will actually own something.

I understand that I am not comparing apples to apples here, e.g. 5 vs 8 years, homes appreciate whereas RV's don't, etc., but I still feel like there is a net win here as I will likely have something of value sooner rather than later. Although, part of this post is to determine hidden costs and to be educated, so feel free to set me straight.

Questions:

  • (Rather than fight about why Winnebago is good or bad) Are there any other manufacturers that you recommend?
  • What kind of maintenance is there?
  • How do you get internet, e.g. Broadband through a carrier, satellite, something else?
  • I recently drove through a RV Park and believe I saw hookups for electricity, hot/cold water, and sewage.
    • Do most RV Parks have these?
    • Do I need anything else? / Am I forgetting something?
    • Is the cost of these included in the monthly rental cost or is their usage extra?
  • [Meta Question]: Are they called "RV Park"s?
  • How much should I expect to pay per month for a spot? (This is likely hard without knowing where I live, so feel free to give extremes.)
  • Most of the RV models I have been looking at have heavy things like the refrigerator on the part that extends out.
    • I have heard that this is an engineering no-no.
    • If that's the case, then why are big names like Winnebago still doing it?
    • Was I given bad advice or is there some truth to it?
    • Is it only an engineering no-no if it's extended for a long period of time?
  • For those that are doing / have done this, thoughts? Do you recommend it?
  • How should I handle insurance?
    • I won't ever drive it, or, once I start driving it, I will re-evaluate insurance.
    • Do I need Auto insurance or home-owner's insurance or something else?

Thanks ahead of time!



Submitted January 03, 2017 at 04:55AM by CoooookieCrisp http://ift.tt/2j1J4vc GoRVing

No comments:

Post a Comment